Concept of money

My 6year old let his friend play his DS and now we cant find it anywhere. All the kids that were hear swear they havn't seen it. My son doesn't really care enough to find it and I cant get it throught to him the importance of keeping track of his own things, let along expensive belongings. Any suggestions?

Momma21Carla

Asked by Momma21Carla at 6:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe the other kid has it? i think you're son will realize how important it is when you refuse to buy another one!
    i would say ask him where he thinks it is and make him look for it. and maybe call his friends that were over and don't accuse them- but just ask if they remember where your son had it?
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Did you see if the other child has it? Maybe if or when he finds it. Take it away and let him earn it back.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Just one more reason I don't think children that young should have such expensive things. As the others have suggested maybe the friend accidentally took it home. Call the parents and see if they can ask the child where he had it last.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It might turn up. I find that my kids have usual places where they put things, but when friends come over things might end up anywhere! Look in places you would never expect -- behind the bed, between the couch cushions, out in the yard, under the Legos.
    In the future, you might want to give him an allowance and make him earn whatever he gets. If he wants another DS, he has to save up, if he wants new games he has to save and trade in another game first.
    Talk to him about how expensive things are and how hard you have to work to buy things for him.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 7:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It's not important to him because he doesn't, as you share in your title, even grasp the concept of money. He doesn't know how much a person has to work in order to purchase something that expensive. He'll take better care of things that he invested time and effort in earning.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Lesson learned: Don't buy expensive things for a 6 year old. Move on.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010