Is there anyone in their 40's and still have greasy hair? If so any suggestions on shampoo?

Janet

Asked by Janet at 6:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Tea tree is excellent because it's not over drying and it's not to moisturizing either. Usually oily hair is because there is no balance. Cheap shampoos like suave, herbal essence, etc have a high ph and are high in acids. Acids stripp all oils from the scalp. This sends the message to the oil glands to panick and pump out more oil. Try either Paul Mitchell Tea Shampoos or Biolage Balancing shampoo. It's not about shampoo altogether, it's about using the right one for your hairtype.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm 30 with greasy hair, and I use Aussie Cleanse and Mend. It's for greasy roots and dry ends (I dye my hair, so it gets split at the ends). I still shampoo daily, otherwise my hair gets greasy. I've also used Tea Tree Oil shampoo, but this stuff seems to be working better for me.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm 36 and I have always had oily hair. Many years ago they used to make a shampoo called FOHO (For Oily Hair Only) and I have missed that so much! Then I tried Aussie's Cleanse and Mend for a couple of years now. I love it!! I like it better than the tea tree oil shampoos. I also always wash my hair twice. One of my stylist told me to do this and I have seen a difference.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I've heard that tea tree shampoo is good for that but I haven't tried it myself.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 6:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes. If I use certain types of shampoos, my hair will become greasy. I suggest you stay away from any type of moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Rather, go for a volumizing shampoo. There is a product out there called Deva Curl, No Poo. It contains no harsh chemicals and it doesn't lather. It's more a cleansing shampoo. You can try something like that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would use Ion balancing Shampoo..

or a clarifying shampoo..

be sure you are shampooing your scalp and condition JUST the ends.. some people just have over active sebaceous glands.. that produce an abundance of sebum. (change in diet, to a healthier diet can help as well).

Stay away from cheap brands, they do nothing for your hair and will only make any problems you have worse..

I personally love Joico, Paul Brown, and Kenra.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• and layh41407 is right.. sometimes you just have to shampoo twice ; ) .
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Tea tree based shampoos are good and try not to use use conditioner too often. I can only use it like once a month. My hair is so fine that the conditioner makes my hair look greasy.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• stop using shampoo. The reason your hair might be greasy is because the 'poo is drying your scalp and your skin is over compensating.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2010