My 20 month old peed and pooped in the potty!!!!

My son is 20 months old and wednesday night he peed in the potty and realized what he had done for the first time since I have been setting him on the potty! He go so excited b/c he actually saw him self peeing...he ran to our kitchen to tell his daddy! Then the next I put him on there and told him to try and potty (our incentive for pottying right now is he gets to flush toilet when he goes b/c he wants to flush it all the time) well he pooped and I didn't even realize he had til I layed him down to put his diaper back on...we made a huge deal out of it and he was so excited and proud! So now the question is how often do i need to take him to restroom? every 10, 20, 30 min? Should I offer a diff incentive or just stick with the one we've got? I'm super excited he is showing signs that he is somewhat ready. He doesn't tell me when he has to go, but I just have been puttingh im on the potty occassionally.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 24 months and I have a potty in the living room and I leave him diaperless all day, and he goes over to the potty whenever he has to go and the only time he wears a diaper is when we go out, nap & night time. I know it takes time & we're working on it. He pees when we put underwear on him.. but just keep taking him.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• way to goI'd start him on underwear for the daytime.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• awe congrats to him!!!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes, I also have my son naked from the waist down so I can tell if he has to go (it can get messy) because he'll just pee in his undies and I can't tell. It just gives me a lot more laundry to do. That way if he starts to pee a little, run him to the potty, finish there, I give mine 1 M&M for going and 1 M&M for flushing, wiping (if thats your thing, mine likes doing it), and washing hands. We don't give M&Ms for anything else so he knows its special. He catches on real fast. Keep saying the name of the potty (poof poofs lol) if you keep repeating what you want him to say.
    FateoftheGodz

Answer by FateoftheGodz at 4:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2010