how do i get my 16 month old off the bottle?

chastity23

Asked by chastity23 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start giving more and more sippy cups. You may surprise yourself and find out he/she does not really need it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Simple, just take it away. I see more mom's try to avoid crying and whining. Well, kids do that. I say stand your ground and they move on real quick. Being positive about the change here and there too!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Only give the bottle when she really needs it, otherwise give the sippy cup, soon you can be done with the bottle altogether
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Try sippy cups with soft rubber like spouts. I believe the brand I used was Munchkin. I took the bottle away from her on her 1st birthday and gave her the sippy cup. She never cried for the bottle, and hardly noticed the change.
    willison85

Answer by willison85 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Here's what we did. Once he got the hang of the sippy cup, we eliminated one bottle at a time starting with the ones he seemed to care about the least. By the time we eliminated the 3rd an final bottle, he didn't seem to care. (Note: while he got a bottle at night, he didn't use it to fall asleep so that makes it easier to eliminate.) Just make sure to either get rid fo the bottles altogether or hide them well. The only time we had a problem was when he saw them again after we'd eliminated them.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• fill it wit water instead of there fav, drink eventualy they will leave it cus there not so much into drinking water at that age..i did that wit my son he would sip a lil bit n relize it had no flavor so he would put it down n forget about it..
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ive tried sippy cups with different nipples she doent like. ive put water in it she knows the difference she oly ha one bottle and like 7 sippy ups my sonn was easy her no he has binki she has nothing its goin to be hardd thank you everyone or ur answers.
    chastity23

Comment by chastity23 (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Sep. 7, 2010