Nobody around us likes to eat healthy and when I suggest something remotely healthy I get the evil eye.

We spent the entire weekend with my SO's family and our friends. Every single meal was with someone else. Seriously, this is where we ate. Mc Donalds, ordered pizza delivery twice, went to a pumpkin patch and apple orchard apparently for candy coated caramel apples, went to a bar for greasy bar food... there is more but you get the picture. Every time someone asked me my input as to what we should eat it was vetoed down by everyone else in the group. I wanted healthy or at least healthier (like I ate plain apples at the orchard) I am the heaviest person out of the whole group and they let me know it, but don't want to eat healthy??? How fair is that? I thought they were just plain rude!

I refused to eat all that trash and people gor irritated by it. How should I deal with this the next time?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• At McDonalds, get a salad. If there are healthier alternatives where you are eating out at, get them. If they are ordering in (such as Pizza) look in the Phonebook and find someplace for you to order in yourself, something you would like to eat. They can't force their unhealthy habits on you, just stick to your guns.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• By getting your own food, and LET them get irritated. You weren't being rude. If it's a constant problem, cross 'em off your social calendar.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If you're going to McDonald's, order a salad, or if there are other restaurants close to where your group is eating, get take-out from a place you'd prefer. Or take over the driving and bring them where you'd like to eat lol. I'm sorry to hear that, that really stinks. I know a lot of times your options are really limited when you're in these fast food places, but there usually is at least one thing that is mildly healthy
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• People are weird when it comes to this issue. Years ago, I lost 60 pounds and boy, did my MIL give me all kinds of crap about it (still not sure why, nor do I care) BUT what was even worse was that the few times that we'd go over and visit, she would be waiting for us at her front door holding a Snickers candy bar and waving it in my face as I would step into the house, taunting me the whole time.

You need to do what's best for you, whether that means you opt to go somewhere else on your own or bringing your own food/snacks. If the problem doesn't get better, I'd cross them off the social calendar like someone previously mentioned on here.
    Anonymous

• Why don't you try sneaking healthy foods into meals like in Jessica Seinfelds cookbook..?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• There may not be as healthy as you would like at each place.However you could order a salad when they order pizza.From some where else even.Its not like you have to eat what they eat.Or if you no this is going to happen.Bring your own.Just say I am watching what I eat.No one will question that.I have done it myself.I have eat food from another place inside Mcdonalds lol.Just because I didnt want Mcdonalds an they did.No one minded me running by an getting it an meeting them there.Their is 5in my family an we have all voted diff places before an I run by each fast food place.If they are your friends they shouldnt care wht you eat.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• it is hard. i want to be healthy for myself and my daughter but my husband says the more sugar and fat the better.
    when we go to mcdonalds, i get a chicken salad and diet soda, wendy's has some really good salads, nice asian salad etc. really good. for pizza joints, you can get salads but how about sayin ginstead of buying pizza...lets make it a family night and bake homemade pizza and you can make the dough with wheat instead of white, use a low sodium , low sugar sauce, get skim milk or 2 percent cheese instead of whole, use some mushrooms if you lik ethem, maybe get some turkey (like doing a hamburger pizza but with turkey) or just get the low sodium pepperoni, spicy pepperoni reaises your metabolism 9spicy foods are good for that) then you have pizza..but healthier. thats wha ti try to dowith our family cause my husband ets terrible
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2008