So Long Summer: How do you stay involved in your kids lives once they go back to school?

Answer 10 of CafeMom Team's So Long Summer Questions this Labor Day Weekend and win a Virtual Vacation award for your Answers profile page.

Ask your own, and then link to it from this group post, for some extra sunshine.

Learn more in the Answers Group.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 7:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in

• the wording of this question is very odd. Am I to glean that you think parents are NOT involved simply because the kids are in school? Or are you talking about college students going back to college?  

I have no college students so I cant speak to that... but I certainly dont consider my self all of the sudden "uninvolved" simply because my kids are in school.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• By asking them questions how how their day was at school.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Talk with them about their homework, ask specific, not general questions about their school day. Join the PTO.

Answer by Bmat at 7:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm very involved because my son has an IEP, which requires meetings and constant oversight to make sure it's followed. Ialso check my son's papers and his work all of the time, making sure he's doing his part, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My parents always talked about my day with me, and when I was younger helped me with homework. Even when I was older we would do things together on the weekends.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 7:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have to be very involved also, my 7 year old is a type 1 Diabetic. So we correspond daily. I always volunteer at the school when I can.

Janet

Answer by Janet at 8:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• help with homework and ask about day and involving them wehn your doing things around the house like cooking and such
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We keep tabs on each other! I actually work at the high school that my kids attend!! I also have grade reports and announcements emailed to me so I have an idea of what is going on and what I can or should ask them about.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm just as involved during the school year as not. In the summer my kids are outside most of the day so I only see them when they come in to eat or it's raining. During the school year I see them after school and on weekends. I think I actually spend MORE time with them during the school year since it's cold and they aren't outside as much.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• help with homework and be involve in school
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

Next question in
Home schooling?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
How many weeks is 6 months preggo?