My sons father took him to the beach for SEVEN HOURS!! Now my son is badly sunburnt!

First off, we live in Florida, i dont take my kids anywhere without sunblock. Saturday my 4yr old son went to the beach with his father from 9am till 4pm! In this time, i called him a dozen times and he didnt answer or call back. That was just the beginning. He finally calls at 6pm and tells me he somehow ran over his phone with the car and that my son was sleeping so he was just going to keep him over night.. Fine no problem. He tells me before he hangs up the phone that Keaton is a little burnt but he did use sunscreen. I said its ok, Keaton is fare skinned and burns easily. Well he brings him home this morming at 10am and omg... My son is RED from his head to his waist! Not blisterd but very swollen. I am pissed. Theres no way he put sunblock on him! I dont even think iv ever been this burnt. And YOU DONT KEEP A CHILD IN THE SUN THAT LONG!!! I have aloe to put on him but i think he may need to go to the dr :'(

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 7:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• oh poor little thing!!!! im whiter than paper and i got soooo burnt i couldnt put a bra on for 2 weeks!!!! use a ton of aloe and a soothing oatmeal bath..... it helps alot!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It you don't put it on every 2 hrs. Yes you can get burnt. Also if it is a year old. It losses its strength and it not protect you like it should. Sorry you son is burnt. Lots of baths, aloe and lotion.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Give him some tylenol or ibuprofen to help with the swelling, and a nice cool bath with vinegar in it to help with the burning.

Milk is also good.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• He will probably need silvadine cream. It will help with the pain, and help repair any damage. I would take him to the E.R. asap if I were you... Hope he's better soon! BTW, you will need a prescription for the cream.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Im so beyond pissed. Common sence is all i ask when he takes my son somewhere. And sadly this was not the first time it happend... More like the 4th. But it will certainly be the last! Its never been this bad. I picked him up to put him in the car this afternoon and he just started crying right away :(

i could slap the crap outta that jerk! But sadly his phone is in peices so it will have to wait untill i can get ahold of him.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Poor little guy.I did the same thing when my sons were young.I felt like a horrible mother.I called my MIL,told her what was going on.She told me to douse them with white vinegar.It helped with the blistering and cooled down their burns.I was not a terrible mother.I was an inexperienced mom that learned a good lesson that day.I'm not excusing the father.I'm sure he feels terrible too.And he might of been afraid of your reaction.Luckily,my sons did not need medical attention.But if you feel like they should be seen,I would call your Dr. first.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 7:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Take him to the doc and get it documented as to how it happened!! Evidence in case you ever need it against him!!! Then have the doc write a note to the man on his letter head explaining that he must use and reapply sunblock, etc. What an ass!!! (and I'm being nice here)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Poor little guy. :( I burned myself bad when I was about 23 (used tanning accelerator by mistake, a lot of it--ack!) and I couldn't even lay down I was hurting so bad. Astonishing that his dad would be that ignorant. I hope he feels better soon, and I agree with everyone else about the treatment.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Poor baby! When I was horribly burn I was washing my skin in tea and diluted vinegar (not at the same time) Both help withte stinging. Aloe is good so is a good coco butter. Tylenol! Oh that poor child!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Does his dad know what sun poisoning is? What was he thinking?????
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 8:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010