Does breastfeeding hurt?

Hello I'm a new member and I want to breastfeed my baby that will be born in 3 weeks, but I know nothing about it, I keep hearing stories how painful it is. it this true? how long should you nurse on each side? should I not give her a bottle the first 2 weeks? I'm having a c-section and I'm going to need to take some pain meds will i be able to feed her and take the meds? can I get pregnant if i;m breastfeeding?I hear when you are having sex with your husband your breast will leak is this true? I also hear that when the baby cries your breast will leak? help!

10blessing

Asked by 10blessing at 7:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• FOR ME.....yes it did hurt. I would cry. I wen't to a specialist and a lactation consultant and it still hurt. Some are tougher than others though!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• it depends on the individual. For me it hurt the first 2 weeks, not matter what i did, even seeing a LC didn't help. It hurt for all three of my kids. I have some friends where it didn't hurt at all and some that it did.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If there are breast feeding classes in your area, you should try and attend them. Most of the time hospitals will have them. That way, you can get information and have your questions answered and maybe you won't be so scared.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes at first it is going to hurt. You nipples are not use to having someone suck on them like that. But after 6 weeks or so it will be all gone. Yes you should nurse each side at each feeding so you don't get one breast bigger then the other. They say you should wait 6 weeks before introducing the bottle. But some baby's are fine with the difference and don't get confuse. Some baby's will not like the bottle at all. AS for meds. let them know you are breast feeding so they can give you meds that are safe for baby. For some women having sex, hearing a baby cry and for no reason. The will leak.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Can you talk to a lactation consultant? Ask your doctor if they can recommend one.
    Your nipples will be sore until they toughen up, use Lansinoh cream after BF to help them to not get chapped. You'll need breast pads (little circular absorbant pads that go inside your bra) because you will leak often. You'll also need nursing bras and button down shirts are more convenient. My kids had bottles from the first day (once a day) and they did fine, they also had a pacifier with no nursing problems.
    Yes you absolutely can get pregnant while breastfeeding, yes you will leak during sex. You will leak when the baby cries, you will leak when another baby cries, you will leak when you think about your baby. It's not a big deal to leak.
    Give it a try, it is worth it if you can do it. Don't feel bad if you can't do it, you will still bond and your baby will do fine any way you feed him/her.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 7:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• try to use the breast pump now to get used to the pressure and my dr told me to have my husband suck on them and that its the last time we can really mess around with them before the baby comes lol shes a funny dr
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Other answers are here.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I know breastfeeding seems crazy overwhelming at times but don't be afraid to ask your nurses in the hospital about it. They have lactation specialist to assist you latch your baby and answer many of the queastions you asked here. Even if you have trouble when you go home they can give you phone numbers to call for support. It may be uncomfortable at first when starting out but if your baby is latched on correctly it shouldn't hurt at all. If you have pain break the suction by putting your finger in the mouth- pulling hurts more!
    Starting out feeding should be about 15 mins per breast per feeding.
    Even if you have to pump and give her a bottle it's still your milk and thats what really counts.
    Don't give up!
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If they offer a breastfeeding class at the hospital, take it before the baby is born. This was HUGELY helpful to me. Also, get a good nursing book, I used The Nursing Mother's Companion. Talk to the lactation consultant before leaving the hospital for sure. Knowledge is power...the more you learn and know before the baby comes the more likely you are to be successful. Yes, it hurt in the beginning, but it gets better and is a wonderful experience for both of you. If you really want to do it, you will.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Oh you can search local support from La Leche League http://www.llli.org/
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2010