central air is OFF but makes sound like it's about to come on?

we just moved last week, and i started noticing last week that the AC would sound like it was about to kick on several times in a row when it was too cool to be coming on anyway based on what we had the thermostat on. well today i have had the AC set to off and i still hear that noise occasionally. it concerns me because of the possibility of having a huge electric bill . i just don't know what it's doing...anyone have any idea?

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What is the sound exactly? Could it be just the fan kicking on? Are you sure it is the AC unit? I know that my gas hot water tank makes a wooshing sound when the pilot lights. The fridge makes weird noises too when the ice maker kicks on. I only say this because, my thermostat is centrally located near the fridge and where I can hear the hot water tank. Also, you say this is a new house for you so you aren't used to the sounds it makes yet!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We had that happen and had to have the Heating /Air guy come out and out in a nmew switch it was trying to start but just wouldn't have the experts come
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010