DD is driving me crazy with her climbing and tantrums!

I am seriously about to remove all the furniture from the living room! I thought I could block the chairs and sofas with gates to keep her from climbing to the top of them, but she is now climbing over the gates! I'm afraid she is going to break her neck!!!

She is almost 17 months old and the tantrums and hyperness are getting unbearable. It seems like nothing I do or try makes her happy these days. Where did my sweet adorable baby girl go?

I am stuck in this house with her 24/7; DH thinks that I should be happy being at home all the time, but the walls are closing in on me! It's almost to the point that it is a major hassel to take dd out anyways.

I feel like I am losing my mind!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

rcbrown

Asked by rcbrown at 1:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hang in there momma! lol. my 3 yo loves to stack all the cushions and pillows off all the furniture in the middle of the floor and climb and leap off of them! It's never ending, once she moves on from this terrible thing, she'll be on to some new more terrible thing! ahhh, motherhood. Blessings and patience to you momma.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• When mine would get to that point, I would strap her in a stroller and go for a walk. It seems with her distraction was best. I do know the feeling. My daughter is 2 1/2 and she went through this. It does get better. Take her out places anyway. Sometimes the behavior is due to boredom. Let her run around a park to wear her out, anything, but don't close yourself in the house. (I know easier said than done, just stick with it)
    As far as the climbing be consistent, remove her when she climbs to a safe place, get down on her level and tell her in a firm (but not too scary) voice, NO. You will have to do this over, and over, and over again.
    mc808

Answer by mc808 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If you can get her to a place where she can let out some of that energy it might help. In the yard, the park. I know your frustrations. I have a 2.5 year old who climbs gates, thinks pretending to be spider man on the top of the couch is funny and loves to climb on top of the dining room table! I figure its all a matter of testing limits, which if you contiually set the limits she should eventually understand or at least realize its a no no and she will get in trouble. and try to give her an outlet for some of that energy. Good luck =)
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree with the pp....GET OUT OF THE HOUSE....take a drive or a walk to the nearest park....if it's too cold, most malls now have a little indoor play area. If those aren't options, make an area in one room of your house that's gated off, place pillows around an object that isn't too high but one she CAN climb on, when she starts climbing on the off limits stuff just take her to the 'safe' climbing place.
    They're going to climb, whether you want them to or not.... so let them climb somewhere, but make it very clear what the boundaries are.
    Anonymous

• Get out, even just for a stroll! My mood affects how my dd behaves. I was getting VERY frustrated by things and even starting to yell (Um, how can you NOT when your child is climbing things while you are at a hot skillet making food, w/no one to grab her?) but I found that calming myself down has also calmed her down. I live in a small town, don't drive, and her father commutes. It's just us most of the time. I don't want to be a screaming mom, so I decided to make the best with what I can do. We have a school with a playground nearby and after school is out we head over there almost every day.
    Anonymous

• Boredom makes it worse, too, so try to keep her engaged. Sit down with her and let her color (scribble), or we just tried Play-Doh for the first time yesterday. She is just as frustrated as you are by being cooped up! Try to see things from her perspective. My dd has been in a much better mood since I've started showing more patience and trying to be more fun for her.Try to meet up with some other mommies in your area.
    Anonymous

• wear her out....do something to get taht energy going,as for the climbing...mine is about ot hit 2 yrs old..and omg...she climbs everything, she throws everything, she eats everything, she finds and hides everything....but they get over it...eventually..i hope
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008