My 16 month old is sick for the 1s time - Help

Hi my son is sick had a fever for one day but now has a bit of a cough off & on. We went to the Dr. & he told us to watch him & have meds for him just in case his cough gets worse & understand a cough isn't a bad thing its the body getting better etc. but was just wondering how long can a cough last? I don't just want to give him the antibiotics. He has been sick for about 9 days but is ok, eats etc, happy........ Thnx...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Having a cough is ok, as long as it doesn't interfere with their sleep, and as long as it's not painful or send them into fits of course. So if it's just a harmless cough and it's productive, then I wouldn't worry about it too much, they can last for 2-3wks. GL.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• The cough can hang around for a long time :(
    Try keeping the humidifier on every night, and give him his cough medicine
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• also those vapor rubs help and they make those breathe right strips for youngsters
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yeah a cough can hang around for weeks with no other symptoms. The more you cough the more irritated the throat get so it last a while. AS the above poster said vick's vapor rub can help a lot so can a cool mist humidifier.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• a cough can last a while but will eventually calm down..

try a humidifier.. and if it worsens at all (the cough), you may have to get antibiotics for him. Obviously watch for other symptoms as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010