Has the moderate disappeared from the political climate?

Both my father (who I'm close with) and I are moderates. I tend to be more liberal, but there are definitely issues where I'm more conservative on. My dad tends to be more conservative, but he has issues where he is liberal. He and I will have discussions and we both feel that the moderate is a dying breed, in part thanks to TV pundits from both sides (including Beck, Jon Stewart, Olbermann, O'Reilly, etc).

So what do you think, are the moderates disappearing? And Tea Partiers are NOT moderates. (I've been to a Tea Party, the people there were definitely not moderate.)

NonnasMomma

Asked by NonnasMomma at 8:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They are still there, but they don't make good TV. There's not going to be someone protesting for "Some taxes cut and some spending cuts!" or "Find the compromise!" The people exist and will vote, though.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Most people are moderates, really, just not the people that talk politics.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We are still aroundwe are just quiet. I avoid talking politics with those I know are far left or right. I voice my opinions in the voting booth.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm more of a moderate than anything else. I am a registered Independent. I'm not too far right, not too far left, but am passionate about things on both sides.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think it is how you define a moderate. I know a lot of moderates..fiscal conservative and middle of the road on social issues. Moderate actually defines most of the people in the 200+ member tea party group I am a part of. I don't listen to any of the people you mentioned so I can't really comment on their influence or lack thereof.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• NO. The "moderate" has NOT disappeared.

But the gov't abandonment of common sense boundaries and usurpation of unreasonable levels of power makes it impossible to HAVE a moderate reaction.

Even the most "moderate" of men will react immoderately to immoderate threats or thefts.

The level of corruption and violation of the Constitution compels immoderate responses from any sane citizen.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:56 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Good question. I think I am moderate too...I see both sides but I probably tend to be socially Liberal and fiscally Conservative....but it just depends on the issue. I am flexible.My family is moderate too. My home state is a bit more Liberal.....Minnesota , and you might have heard Minnesota nice. We don't dictate to anyone and we mind our own business. :-)We are private people . Many Swedes here. Quiet folk. Have you heard about "the Swede who loved his wife soooo much that he almost told her ?"
    It would be good if some Moderates ran for office.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think it has. There's a lot of screaming on both sides and NO side will give quarter to anyone!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I consider myself moderate. So does my son. I lean liberal but generally make my decisions after I've heard both sides.

I agree with lovinangels, most intellects are moderates.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree with waldorfmom
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2010