New Kindergarten mom looking for advice from experienced moms

My oldest daughter will be starting Kindergarten on Tues. and I feel lost and nervous about what this next stage of motherhood will be like. For those of you with older children, what lessons have you learned that you wish someone had shared with you? It could pertain to any of the elementary school years not just Kindergarten.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• That once they go to school that is when they really become their own person, they find friends and don't need mom as much anymore, because from there they keep growing into a life that you don't always now about.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• They wont need you as much. They are much more interested in their new buddies. The first week or two of school will be hard on you both. Get to know the teacher. Get to know the school that she goes too. Also they will be at the "I know everything mom" stage soon and yes, it's hard. lol!
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• sadly- be prepared for the meanness kids can dish out. especially girls
    make sure to try to take pics and video of all the good stuff- I wish I had more!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Lets see, I will try to keep this short and sweet. Go over all work that comes home from school with your child. I dont remember packets of work coming home from Kindergarten like it did later on 1st- 6th. Go over their work with them. Use flash cards. Get to know the teacher, if you can volunteer in the classroom. I worked FT and still came in on my day off to help every week. Make sure you always attend open house. I have teens in high school, heck I have a senior this yr and I still plan on going and meeting her teachers. I remember tons of homework for them in 1st-6th. and you just have to make the time to be there with them and help them. You actually get a lot out of this too, cause you learn what they are learning. Sack lunches are sooo important and so much more nutritional then what the school offers. I wish you the best of luck, its been an amazing journey with dd and such a wonderful one at that.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Don't worry. She may seem to be growing up so fast but they need you to always be there. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I didn't realize having 2 children so close would be as hard at times. They are 17 months apart and only one grade from each other. When my son went from the elementary school to the middle school, my daughter was mad because she was left behind! That is how she felt in her mind. That year was fun to watch her develop into her own self that year.

marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Catch the bus, or drive but if you take them, make it more routine on one or the other, if you can walk for a week or 2 at first it's nice. ( Do you work?)........., keep the sentimental things close to them at night, it's like a circus in kindergarten sometimes, so they need to attach to their stuff later at night. Stuffed animals, and food they enjoy.

Just help them learn in little bits. And say good things about the homework. After a while you'll get sick of all the papers.
    She may want to know that you visit or help at reading hour. I used to go read or play doll and blocks with her groups, and listen to the story hour. You won't get much time if it's just 3 hrs. If later than 3 you may get some time for breaks for you.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i think getting to know the teacher is pretty important. my first son did just great, my second son is very nervous to start kindergarten Tuesday! my son was soooo tired for the first two months...he had a full day kindergarten. don't plan much for after school in the beginning. let your lo get plenty of sleep at night.
    congratulations mama!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010