OUCH!

My son has started biting when I breastfeed. Be bites down and pulls back fast and fast on my nipple. I take him away immediatly and tell him no, but the next time I nurse him he does it again. He is six month old and teething. I need help before he gets teeth. It hurt so bad earlier that I actually contemplated giving up breastfeeding. I'm feeling pretty desperate right now, so please no bashing.

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No bashing here, I know exactly how you feel!! both my kids did that. You are doing everything right, stop the feeding immediately (try not to let out a yelp, some babies think that's hilarious and they'll bite you again to get the same reaction!) and firmly tell him no. Unfortunately some babies are persistent. GL Momma!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Oh, no - that's hard to deal with, my daughter did that a few months ago when she started teething. Just be persistent, it will get better. My monster is 9.5 months now with workin' on 4 teeth & hasn't bitten me yet. Good luck, mama!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Pull him I close to the breast where he has to let go to breath. Then, put him down. Put him down everytime he bites. He will learn to not bite or no food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My daughter did that at the beginning of getting teeth. I would very sternly say "NO!" and then put her down and kind of ignore her for about 30 seconds. I also started paying more attention to her when nursing. She would usually bite toward the end of nursing, so I would put my finger in to break the suction when I noticed that she wasn't sucking as much and was pretty much finished. They can't suck to drink and bite at the same time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• A 6 mo doesn't understand no and it can scare them. Instead pull the baby towards the breast and the baby will let loose without hurting your nipple like pulling the baby off the nipple can.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Keep telling him no (he has to learn the meaning of the word somewhere) but pull him toward you, it will cause him to open his mouth wider. My dd was doing the same thing a while back and actually gave me deep tissue bruises. You can also try giving him a cold teether and some orajel or teething tablets a few minutes before you nurse, that way he isn't hurting and trying to use you as a teether.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• All three of mine would only bite toward the end of the nursing session. When he starts to slow down, end the session. Like the others said, pull him toward you and he should let go. It HURTS!! But hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• He's getting his teeth, it's not going to get any better. He probably doesn't realize it. Have you thought of putting your milk into a bottle, and do it that way?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:21 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i would stop becaue he is teething so he dosent really know what he is doing...but if you want to keep him on the breast milk instead of formula then pump it is the easiest way...good luck
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010