Trying to understand something I saw in another post...

In Islam, is "associating partners" the same as being associated intimately with someone of another faith? In Christianity, the Bible calls that being "unequally yoked".

I'm just trying to understand what I read. Anyone who wants to bash one or the other religion, please just keep moving right along.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 9:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• And then there's the sura that says "And you will find the nearest in love to the believing Muslims are those who say: "We are Christian."' (Quran, 5:82). this was shared with me by one of my dearest Muslim friends. The idea of not being friends with people of other faiths is not something most Muslims share. Its something that people take out of context, just like your last surah - the one about fighting wherever you can find them goes on to say that if there is peace to keep the peace, that fighting is only acceptable until the oppression on Muslims stops, which refers to a specific time and incident. But regardless, the Quran is full of surahs saying that fighting is only acceptable in defense, and only within appropriate amounts.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• It may have to do with a verse in the Qu'ran telling muslims NOT to associate with christians and Jews, because of the chance that they will pollute the muslim with their beliefs. It states (Sura 5:51) that "he among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them." They are forbidden to be associated with non-believers because they will, then, become the same as the non-believer. And Allah will desert them. (Sura 4:101) states that "The disbelievers are an open enemy to you." and 9:123 commands "Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you". In other words, muslims may be polite, but they can NEVER be friends with non-muslims. Surprise.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Sounds about right to me. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• From what I know, associating partners has more to do with associating partners with God, as in putting someone on the same level as Him.... But I dont' think I saw the post, so I could be responding out of context.. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Bandgeek, I think you may be right. I think I saw another post once, and that context would make sense. I'll wait to see if any of the Muslim women respond with an answer.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• idk
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• associating Allah with false gods

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:17 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't know the ans. Sorry.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• band is correct
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2010