Has anyone tried the gluetin free diet??

I was wondering if you ladies had any imput on the gluetin free diet. My son is autistic and has really bad allergies. He has had dieharra for bout 2 months. His dr told me I might want to consider the gluetin free diet. Just wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with it. Thanks in advance!!

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Food & Drink

• continue:
    So you would have to read labels if you see wheat or gluten on the label for example then it can't be eaten on an gluten free diet. Also alternative breads, noodles, etc can be bought at the grocery stores or health food stores...those items are often very pricey. Be prepared to eat lots of fruits, veggies, rice, potatoes, etc.

Also going out to eat can be hard...for example McD fries would be a NO-NO because they coat them with a flour type substance so there is gluten there even though the fries themselves are potatoes. Also for example chicken nuggets at MCD would be out and the hamburger would be okay as long as it's bun-less. Hope this helps... It can be hard but it could help with this diarrhea especially if the diarrhea is caused by having an gluten-intolerance.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Why Diets Don't Work
    When you want to lose weight, is your first choice to run to the latest fad diet? Often the first 5-10 pounds come off, then your old eating habits return.
    walking.about.com/cs/diet/a/dietsdontwork.htm
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My grandfather is non a gluten free diet, because of medical reasons... First there's a LOT of things that have gluten: bread, noodles, twizzlers, other candy, cakes, pies, can soup, pizza etc. Basically if it's made with FLOUR it's out!!...  (more next post)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Vbruno for your info: A gluten-free diet is recommended amongst other things in the treatment of coeliac disease and wheat allergy. (see more at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet )

My Grandfather is on the "diet" because he has celiac disease (coeliac disease). One of the symptoms of the disease is chronic diarrhea.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I totally believe in the diet for allergies. My sis put my 3 year old nephew on the diet for severe allergies and his allergies cleared up within a week. I was on the diet for a year when I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease and quickly learned to adapt to the diet and learned several yummy recipies.

My step son is autistic and I would LOVE to try the diet with him, however, his mother and I don't see eye to eye so what is the point in trying if it won't be consistent?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... and I guess that is whay my autistic step son has to say about that!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008