Jesus Question

For those of you who follow Jesus, have you actually studied him? I'm not talking about what the Bible says about him but the historical records about him. Like do you know what sect of Judaism he followed or anything like that?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• *Snort*
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Just look up the key words Judaism and Jesus.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I don't follow Jesus, but I know quite a bit about him.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Actually, in ways I do follow him, even though I don't know if he was really the son of God.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have to an extent.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No I have not- his Word is what is important to me.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am not a scholar so no. His word is who He is....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• The gnostics say that he studied some mystical form of Judaism - I can't remember the exact sect. I can't really believe it to be true because it isn't found in Scripture. I am left but to chalk it up to pure speculation, as I have nothing I consider trustworthy to measure it by. It also doesn't fit with Christ's teachings.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I read a book about Gnosticism and the teachings of Christ and looking at the New Testament through the Gnostic view, it really does make a lot more sense, at least to me anyway, lol.  I have also read about Kabbalah I wouldn't say Gnosticism and Kabbalah are alike, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus learned about Jewish Mysticism.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 3:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm not Christian but I have studied all the worlds religions, both ancient and modern. So yes I have read a lot about Jesus, by laypeople and by scholars. And hubby is Jewish so I have learned a lot about that also. Some say Jesus may have been Essene but that is probably not true. He did follow the Jewish laws and celebrated the Jewish holidays. There are not many historical records but the Nag Hamadi books found in Egypt and the Dead Sea Scrolls are a good place to look as well as the Gnostic gospels. If you want to read up on it, Elaine Pagels is a great author to start with.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2010