are doctors aloud to telly your business to another patient?

me and this girl that i really dont talk to have the same baby doctor. and i was just wondering if my doctor is aloud to tell her about my babies and stuff. were both still pregnant.

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 10:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no no and no. its actually against the law to give information about other patients. if your not too sure look up hippa. it tells about the legal medical information. infact a coworker can not look up information about a patient just for gossip or fun. the only person who can give you the info is the patient themselves.
    mommastink

Answer by mommastink at 10:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No they aren't because of patient confidentiality. If they do discuss something with someone other than you without your consent you could sue them.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• nope. All of your medical records are sealed, its called HIPPA
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• not a bit of information...not even that you share the same MD~don't worry..even the chattiest of RN's are very professional about client information~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Pretty sure they aren't. When I was pregnant though, I did mention that a friend of mine (her doctor was someone in the same practice) had her baby and I thought about visiting her, and my doctor said she had already been dismissed from the hospital (just so I wouldn't drive over for no reason). But that was as far as any info went.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No. HIPPA prevents them from being able to discuss anything with anyone you do not say they can discuss it with.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No they took an oath, there is something known as doctor patient confidientiality. Hope I spelled that right. You could sue your doctor for giving out info to anyone.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Nope. Its call HIPPA. Its patient privilages and your stuff is completely private. I have had a Dr tell me about things about something that happened, but it he never talked about who, when, just that he had a patient one time that had XX like me and this is what she did. Very anonymous
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No they are not allowed to do that.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No they are not allowed to do that.
    bjane01