any ideas to get my son interested in using the potty?

I have a 30 month old son who is doing okay in the potty and uses it. but he does not let us know if he has to go and only tells us afterwards if he went. he has no desire to sit on it but will if tell him its potty time. we read and play games and give rewards but still he isn't interested otherwise. is it just a matter of time or can i do anything else to help him along? i try not to over force him and always let him know he's a big boy. just wanting to know if they're are some creative ideas out there? thank you so much!

mommastink

Asked by mommastink at 10:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, he may not be ready. My son was not ready until he was 3 and a half. But then he trained in a week! I would let it go for a couple of months, then try with training again.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• thanks i hear that. but how do you know if he's ready? how does he know?
    mommastink

Comment by mommastink (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• A few requirements before potty training- speech- he needs to be able to clearly communicate his needs, he should be able to pull his shorts up and down on his own! You can't make him interested in the potty, but you can help him understand it. My son was 2 and a half when we started and day 1 began with "do you want to wear the blue big boy undies, or the red stripey big boy undies" I let him go do his things and before long, I heard him say uh oh- he peed, so I said uh oh, that needs to be done in the potty- I helped him clean it up and got some fresh undies. He peed in 3 pairs of undies before making it on the pottyy. Letting them actually feel the pee and see the mess, makes them immediatly aware that something just happend! Diaper and pullups just absorb the mess and delay learning what it is he needs to be concentrating on. Within 10 days we were in undies all day long! :) Good Luck! :P
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• *accident free in 10 days I should add! lol Oh and they can't be running around with sippie cups all day or taking them to bed at night during potty training. Although the first couple days I let my son drink tea, which makes you have to pee more frequently, that helped him to really get the idea of what was going on a little quicker with more frequent urination! :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• thanks a bunch! i like the tea idea too! i just went through cleaning up poop and pee off the floor one day and was sick of cleaning the carpet. ahhahah guess i need to go back to just letting him wear his pants.
    mommastink

Comment by mommastink (original poster) at 10:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010