is it ok to give a 2yr old flavored milk if she wont drink just milk?

my 2 yr old will only drink milk if it is mixed in chocolate or strawberry syrup. i try to give it to her plain but she just crys. i try not to let it get to me.

mjsmom09

Asked by mjsmom09 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are the same way. I even asked the doctor and he said it was fine. At least shes drinking it.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think that it is fine but that is just me some moms think that that is the worst thing you can do..... however I am an adult and that is the only way that I will drink it :D I wouldn't worry maybe if you start gradually reducing how much is in it so she will become accustomed to the regular milk...?
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• YOU are her mother, only YOU can decide what is and isn't okay for your child. I don't see any reason why it's a bad thing, but you should take the sugar content in to account when poring! My kids drink warm milk with a spoonful of vanilla before bed and love it. But I know many who would NEVER do that even... Point is, she is YOUR child and you are by no means going to hurt her by doing this, so it's completely up to you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Choose Ovaltine- it's got alot of nutrients in it as opposed to the crap in strawberry and chocolate syrups. Also, during summer months, I switch to skim milk. My kids won't drink another milk during the summer, it's just too heavy. I don't even like it when it's hot out. Try switching to skim before counting on the flavored. It has less fat and more calcium, and since he's already two, the lack of fat would be better than not having milk at all. Good Luck! :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• any other and SHE! lol sorry! :P
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My daughter would only drink Oberweis chocolate milk for the longest time. That got to be expensive because it was in glass bottles. We switched her to Ovaltine or Nesquik powder. They still don't like white milk. Just keep in mind, the syrups are mostly corn syrup and sugar.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't, human beings do not need cows milk to begin with. My son hasn't touched milk since he turned two, he is a healthy 3 year old now..he does eat a healthy well balanced diet.
    Honestly i would rather not give them milk than let them get used to the syrups that are not very healthy at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• When my DD was 1 her doctor told me to give her Carnation Instant Breakfast with her milk.......she also wouldn't drink "white" milk and she was VERY small so she needed the extra calories.

Personally I don't think anything is wrong with using flavoring, my boys both loved chocolate milk when they were 2. I would only let them drink it in the morning with breakfast though. Check the labels on the different brands and get her one that is low in sugar that way it won't "disrupt" her sleep.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• it's fine.. i do the same sometimes with my dd.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes, but I would worry about the sugar content. At 2 they don't have to have milk via a cup. They could have cheese, yogurt or other dairy products.
    -MsPsychology-

Answer by -MsPsychology- at 11:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010