Re: my son being very sunburnt..

I posted about my sons father taking him to the beach and my son coming home EXTREAMLY burnt...

How do i know if he is dehydrated? Hes still peeing like a race horse but his eyes look kinda sunk in sorta (saids my sister).
Hes drinking milk and gatoraid too. But could it just be going right through him?
I dont want to put him through going to the ER if im just panicking but i also have never had to deal with something like this before.
It never fails that when my kids get sick or i think they may need to see a dr that its a holiday and the office is closed!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 10:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Listlessness is a major sign of dehydration. Also pinch the skin on the top of his hand, if it goes right down he is fine, but if it takes a few seconds to go back to normal, that is a sign of dehydration.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If he is drinking and peeing fine then he isn't dehydrated. I think he will be fine, it was a mistake just remind his dad next he time he has to continuously add the sunblock. My kids are outside all day everyday and they are fine as long as they have sunblock on.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• if he is drinking Gatorade that will fill him with electrolytes that will be a good thing. Try some pedyalite they have many different types now flavored and Popsicle and stuff like that. Aloe will help with his skin lots of aloe!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Try Pedialite too. As long as he's drinking. Is your pediatrician on-call in case of emergencies? Try to keep his skin cool and hydrated. I ahve never dealt with something like that. Maybe other moms can be of better assistance.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 10:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Sounds like he is not dehydrated. As long as he is drinking and peeing, he should be fine. Use aloe for the sunburn and keep him drinking.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would go out and my that product with lanocain in it~after sun aloe verde...if he is peeing he is doing alright...you can do a skin test with pulling the skin up and seeing if it stays in that position and how long it takes to go back flat...he has a major organ that is damaged...lots of cell break down, lots of kidney action to clear it.

I would avoid the Motrin Ibu' products for they are taxing to the kidney verses tylenol which is taxing to the liver.

good luck...my older burned his face friday...you can see the sunscreen lines at least...clues for 200 daddy~

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Kids need to drink water especially if they are at risk of dehydration. Milk can cause constipation and digestive problems. Gatoraid can upset electrolyte imbalance. Dehydration isn't the issue with sunburn. There is no need to worry about dehydration and going to the ER. What is the problem is the burn itself. You have the pain and damage to the skin. The skin can get infected if there is blisters. Just a few childhood burn greatly increase the risk of the deadly kind of skin cancer. This kind of cancer can hit even in late teens or young adults.

Take pictures and document the burn if there is a problem with the father not taking adequate care of the children.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• His eyes are probably sunk in because he's tired. Put the kid to bed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• K thanks! I worry about him and just dont want him to get sick.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't give him too much milk I hear it doesn't hydrate well. Good luck
    lovelily79

Answer by lovelily79 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010