Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Should I continue to work or go on welfare?

I am a single mom or two children, one with special needs. Their father hasn't paid child support in almost a year, and I just moved to the area about 11 months ago. I don't know too many people other than those I work with, and my grandmother watches the kids for me while I work 3rd shift with adults with disabilities. I usually only get about 20-30 hours a week, because my grandmother is 73 and has a hard time keeping up with the kids, and I know no one else to watch them. I live in section 8 housing, and even though I am making the same as i was receiving in child support, my rent has majorly increased because its calculated in gross income, not what I bring home. I struggle to pay even the basic bills, and the gas to and from work is killing me. I am getting ready to begin schooling for my r.n., and I dont know how I will take care of my kids, work, and go to school. I'm at a loss at what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (17)
  • Going to nursing school and working is going to be hard.

    Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Okay, well lets think about this for a moment shall we: You are perfectly capable of working, right... You eventually want to get a career, right? Well, go out there and get it. Go find a better job, one which pays you more money. Do anything, but don't quit! Welfare isn't going to pay you much for the simple fact that you still receive child support. So, if you're family is able to live on something like $200.00 a month, please share... because I don't think it's possible.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • If there's a large difference between what you make and what you bring home, you need to adjust your withholding tax form at work. You can have it set up so that your EIC for the year is included in your pay check. Make sure you are NOT claiming zero deductions, with two kids, I believe the correct deduction for lower tax brackets is six. If you get EIC with your tax return each year, you can elect to have that paid out in advance, by checking a box.

    Answer by lovinangels at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Well the assistance will go on your income. Also they will require you to become employed if you are capable. There should be a local child care assistance program that goes off your income at least there is one here. Try getting food stamps that will be a long term help that will not go away. You can only be on Public Assistance for like three years five years or 15 months I don't remember they just passed a new law a few years ago. (I know the times are way off and different but I honestly don't remember) There are also programs that you can seek at your local job centers or assistance centers they can give you information on the programs available.

    Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • check with your local welfare office. you should be able to get child care assistance. you can also apply for energy assistance to help you with your winter heating costs. honestly i would work towards getting your education done as a main priority beccause you are learning a career that will provide you all for your life. instead of working menial jobs and getting no where. my friend got her RN after her divorce, 3 kids, no child support. and within 5 years after the divorce she was no longer on welfare and supporting her own family

    Answer by sati769leigh at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • I am married and DH is working, but I haven't been working while I'm in the R.N. program. You should be able to get two years of childcare assistance, and if you time it right, it should last for most of the time you are in your program. They may not tell you that you will have a small co-pay, so just be aware of that. You may qualify for PELL Grants, in fact I would say you will probably qualify. It is also worth your time to apply for scholarships. There are scholarships aimed at single moms, non-traditional students, etc. I've gotten scholarships the last three times I've applied. Have you chosen a school? Talk to your financial aid office for leads. FastWeb was a waste of time for me. If you bring in a scholarship, there may be money left over from your PELL Grant after paying your school expenses, and that will be released to you as living expenses (continued).

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • "the gas to and from work is killing me"

    Try to find a closer job but do continue to work since jobs are hard to find and especially with the up coming holidays.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • (continued) You can also take out student loans, but try to find other sources of financing so the loans are not a burden when you graduate.

    I will not say whether you should quit working and use welfare or not. I would apply for Food Stamps either way. Also, if you do quit working and lose your insurance, check into Medicaid. There are also Community Health Clinics that will not turn you away for your inability to pay.

    I've relied heavily on credit cards to get through this, and each year when we get our big tax refund I pay back what I've borrowed through the year. I am in my last semester and will graduate in December. I have two kids. It is hard to find study time. It comes out of my sleep time.

    You can do this! You have a good goal, and it will benefit your family. Just do some major planning before you get started. Good luck!!

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • I worked and attend grad school. Plus run a household with my husband. You can work, you should. I know it is hard but you made the choices. I would never go welfare if I am capable of working.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Apply for more benefits, but do not quit your job to get on welfare. There are many benefits that you will most likely apply for that can benefit you in the meantime. Food stamps, Medicaid, benefits to pay for daycare, benefits to help you pay your bills, etc. It is financial suicide to quit your job right now, due to the absolute lack of jobs in this country. You're lucky to have a steady job right now as there are 36,000 (if not more) unemployed workers in Indiana alone. Let alone how many across the country who would give anything to have your job. I applaud you for going to school to better your situation, but please keep your job and find additional assitence to help you with what you need. Plus, go to court and get that deadbeat father to pay child support! Don't let him get off scott free.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.