how much tv time is enough for a 2yr old in a day?

i let my daughter watch elmo alot and thats the only that she will sit and watch. how much of it should she get. we do get out and do things with her but when were home that is what she is watching

mjsmom09

Asked by mjsmom09 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i let my son watch TV whenever we are home. however much time we are home that day. hes 15 months old.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would say no more than 1/2 hour here and there. Definitely not hours and hours. She does not need to have the TV on all the time - try putting some music on or something instead, or even letting her play quietly.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i was told no more than 2 hrs a day. my daughter is 2 and i let her watch one movie and maybe a tv show but in sections throughout the day i also play music for her and do other activities with her to keep her entertained. hope this helps
    kstills

Answer by kstills at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My doctor just told me at my son's appt that he (at 3) should just now be exposed to TV and that at most he should see 2 hours of screen time a day...

Now, that said. Our TV is on all day, whether or not someone is watching it. The kids watch it, play and do whatever else with the TV on all day... I have yet to find a reason to limit them. If they want to sit and watch something, they can, if they don't want to, they don't... Really, it's that simple. My children are both very active and health, and rarely just sit and watch. But I see no reason to tell they they can't when they want to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I let my daughter watch like 30min she really has no interest in it and would rather play and we are busy with classes and running. I like to let her get some tv time when her older sibling are at school tho. She likes elmo, Thomas and caillou.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I feel as long as the TV time is balanced by learning & quality time with you, then that is all that matters. Some days my DD doesn't watch any tv, some days she watches a couple hours altogether, some days she watches as much as 4 hours. But it is always balanced with learning, play time with me, play dates, etc.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 5:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i usually just put her in her highchair during breakfast and she sits and watches it. she loves the music on the disney channel cartoons. maybe like 2hrs but most of the time its just there for me to get some work done around the house this way she is not on top of me.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010