Aaack! high possibility of mold in the basement. Husband-less for a week.

dammit! This would happen,... my hubby goes out of town for work for a week. So I tackle deep cleaning the basement. As i'm going around all the floor boards, I notice the carpet is wet. & the further I go along it gets wetter & wetter. The wall is NOT wet/damp. But there is a bathroom on the other side of the wall. Called a plumber-the shower head & spout are wiggly & aren't properly sealed to the shower wall. Water has been dripping through for I don't know how long. Plumber can't help with carpet & drywall.
Is there a way to cheap out in testing for mold in the wall/floor board? The carpet I can rip up, easily... but ugh... So scared! & extremely frustrated. Gotta get this figured out ASAP!!!

Ellie19

Asked by Ellie19 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Here's the thing... if it is regular drywall...it will have to be replaced because it is very porous. Now a days, they use a different type of wall board for bathrooms. I feel your pain... I have a horrible bathroom in my basement too, with the same loose shower set up. My issue is the water is leaking into the concrete block wall... not good. You need to dry the wall out the best you can. If possible I suggest turning off the water to that fixture for the time being so that you don't add to the problem. The only way to test the drywall would be to cut out a section, but I have a feeling you will be remodeling....sorry... Wipe everything down with a diluted mixture of 10% bleach to kill any mold you see.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would rip everything up, and wipe everything down with a bleach solution. Let it all air dry. You can have someone come in and test for mold if it continues to be damp.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Cut a small square around the area where there is wetness in the carpeting.. about a 8'' x 8'' cut in a square or if you fell it would be safer go on and do a 12" x 12". Dose your husband have a stud finder? Use that so that you dont cut where there is structural support behind it. Another thing you have to make sure you are not cutting where there is electrical wiring that could hurt really bad or be fatal. Maybe you could have a guy friend or a general contractor come out and cut a whole in the wall for you? Good luck they also have a special group you can call and they use a machine to test the mold level in the house (most basements have mold).
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Get a mask and gloves. Get big black bags. Rip everything up and bag it before you take it upstairs. Fix the leak, rip out the drywall and start scrubbing with bleach. Get the fan going to dry stuff out. Look for the dri z air crystals at home depot to help with moisture. Good luck.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 11:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think the rug is going to have to go but you can kill mold with bleach and hot water, and also with tea tree oil. We have had that problem here, too.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 12:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Thanks for all the input ladies!
    The carpet had begun to mildew, so I just ripped it all out in the guest room downstairs. Placed 2 fans in there (its a basement. Air doesn't circulate that great down there) & pried the baseboard off of the wall. Yeah... I have a slight mold problem. I don't dare cheap out now. :p
    Now.... I'm waiting for the insurance company to get here tomorrow! ugh... Hopefully get a nice check out of the deal. Remodel, repaint, new carpet. Kind of exciting. lol!
    Ellie19

Comment by Ellie19 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010