Have you ever done a liquid diet for medical reasons?

I have been really sick and don't want to eat. I feel like my body needs a break from solid foods. I am not sure how to go about a liquid fast. Has anyone done this before?

Whatkids

Asked by Whatkids at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Health

• No
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had to do it when I was in the hospital on bedrest with preeclampsia. I didnt have a choice nor a warning that I had to do a liquid diet for 2 weeks until they induced my labor at 32 weeks. It was awful. All I was allowed to have was broth, Popsicles, apple juice and cranberry juice. For the first few days I felt like I was going through withdrawals from not eating. The only good thing about it for me was that I lost some weight. Good luck!
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i havent, but my mother and my grandma have both done it. they lost ALOT of weight, and my grandma did it for medical reasons, and it worked. they both said they felt so much better while/after doing it. my grandmother did the master cleanse and my mother did the juice cleansing. if i had to do one, it would be the juice one. heres a website: http://www.justcleansing.com/
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It isn't for weight loss. I have lost ten pounds just from being sick. I feel awful and I just don't think my body is handling food well.
    Thanks
    Whatkids

Comment by Whatkids (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had to be on a liquid and really soft diet for six weeks one time before I had stomach surgery. You really should consult a doctor before doing so. Try a soft food diet instead, like mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, yogurt, pudding,etc. Your body still needs nutrients in order to keep it going. Try to get some ensure or something like that to help your body get what it needs. Do you have any existing medical problems that is causing this?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Sort of.   I broke my jaw years ago and had it wired shut for 6 weeks.  I could only eat what I could suck through my teeth.  Plain yogurt and apple sauce was as solid as I could get.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:43 AM on Sep. 6, 2010