• In the Spotlight:

If my daycare is closed for a whole week for the holidays should I be resposible to pay for that whole week?

charlie22

Asked by charlie22 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• no if they close on there terms then no you shouldn't.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 2:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I never pay for a service i dont receive. So... no.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• In a perfect world no you shouldn't have to pay it but it doesn't work that way. If you were to take a vacation from work they pay you- the daycare is probably just making it easy so that everyone takes vacation at the same time. I think daycare is a very stressful job and giving them a paid week off is worth it in my opinion. Now I must admit when my daughter went to first grade and I didn't have to pay for daycare any longer I was ready to throw a party- daycare is just too expensive.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• If they charge you week to week and THEY are closing, then no, you shouldn't pay. But if they are charging you some kind of average monthly bill based on a certain length contract, then the closure is already taken into account and you need to pay the invoiced amount.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• all the day cares i have ever used have charged for holidays even if they are closed...of i i call and say he is sick. Its their job and they figure they get vacation time pto too i guess. its lame and i hated it but what do you do right?
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 2:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Is it a "daycare" or a home daycare? Most home day cares tell you upfront that they get 1 week paid off. When I did day care in my home I got 1 week paid off and honestly people were usually happy to pay it. I was open Monday - Thursday for babies 4 weeks to 18/24 months. If I was closed for a holiday they still paid for the entire 4 days. Of course when they left me they could all speak and knew their letters and could count to 10 with either words or sign language - at the very least pointing. So maybe if you get less you can expect to pay less.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 3:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• yes Rysana and candygirl pointed out it is a very common practice to charge people for child care expense even though they are closed for the holidays.

Most of the daycares here where I live do that as well. Is it "right" no, but if you signed a contract with your daycare provider then there isn't much you can do....after all you most likely agree to those terms in the contract.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have a 'contract' with the daycare I use. I pay for 52 wks/year no matter what in order to keep my spot there.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I teach preschool in my home, and it's in my contract that I still get paid for scheduled closings. My kids' parents are all okay with it. They realize that even when their kids aren't here, I'm doing lesson plans, reading professional books, prepping the environment, etc.
    ChapelleCDH

Answer by ChapelleCDH at 9:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2008