For moms of more than one.....

anyone can reply, but when having the second, and then the third or fourth child, did you notice yourself getting more relaxed about things? I mean baby one was like stearilize EVERYTHING! lol, Baby two was hot soapy water (this is in regards to a dropped binky btw...) baby 3 was just hot water, and baby 4 is pop it in your own mouth and give it back. Obviously if its really gross, this wouldnt apply, but just in cases of dropping it on the floor at home, ya know? Or baby crying- run to her instantly, pick up and sooth, baby two check on her ,give her binky and shush gently, baby 3 talk from across the room, baby 4, she'll be okay while I make the bottle....some people judge me like I'm lazy or becoming a bad mom, but it's just due to more experience than the overbearing first timers that never have more than one because that one is soooo much drama.... I say this cuz my sisters freaks over every little thing...only has 1 kid

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• When you only have one child, you can over do things real easy. My sister had one child and gave her anything she wanted and more. She was very overprotective of her and still is. I think that when one child is all you have that you tend to only concentrate on what's happening every second. Me on the other hand, I have three. I learned that you have to be able to be more flexible when you have more than one child, and things don't seem as important as they once were. I guess it all boils down to experience. When she has one more child, then she will understand, but not before then.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I don't think it's laziness... you just realize that it's not that efficient to be hyper-vigilant about everything! I'm definitely more lax with our second child. I chalk it up to experience!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Honestly, I was that one weird mom in the crowd. I never went through all that "Babyproof Everything" stage... My oldest wasn't really treated any differently than my second or than my third will be. I was always really relaxed about things like that. Maybe it's because I was the oldest growing up, or maybe it's just the way I think, but I really don't get freaked about anything like that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• LOL... been there, done that... my third son came 12 years after the first two... he is so much more easy going because his mom is... I wouldn't call it laziness... in my case I was almost 40 and I was just too old to deal with the craziness... LOL... left eye twitching...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• im the same! im pregnant with my 4th baby. my third i stopped chasing her around with a washcloth all day an i just stop and wash her up every once in a while instead. i did ferbur method this time. the others 2 i rocked to sleap for almost 2 years. its because we realize they arent fragile little things. they are rugged and tough, they arent going to die if we let them cry and they arent going to break if they have to play alone for a few. infact with my oldest i remember freaking out that there was a couple of ants crawling about 15 feet from her! but you know what, my 15 month old will sit down outside and squish them with her fingers and i know its fine.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I only have 2, but yes I know what you mean. When I had my son I fussed over everything and freaked when he would fall even if he didn't cry. When my daughter came I was much more at ease and felt more in control and experienced since I had already done it once :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I know what you mean lol. We were the same way. Freak over everything with the first, then more relaxed with the second, and by the time my daughter came along, it was a lot easier lol. With my oldest, we stressed about EVERYTHING and it shows in his personality! My sister however has a 5 year old and a 10 month old, and she obsesses MORE with her 10 month old because she went into the medical field and learned about all the superbugs and all that stuff that she didn't know about with her oldest. Kinda weird its reversed for her lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes I think after the first and second child you began to realize that being jumpy after everyting your baby does is useless and can be stressful.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I was only critical of everything for a short while with my oldest......my middle son was born when my oldest was 13 months. But I do know exactly what you mean.......if the pacifier fell in the dirt when we were somewhere where there was no water to wash it off I would give it to my DH to "pop in his mouth"....LOL! He never even complained!!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Well, I didn't go nuts about sterilizing everything in sight or touch of the first baby, but I had my 3 girls rather close together and then a long break before I had my son. I know that with my son, I was so much more relaxed about EVERYTHING! I figured it was because I did have more experience, and I was older. I didn't get so overwhelmed with things when he was a little guy, like I did with the girls (when I had my 3rd, my oldest wasn't quite 4 yet......I don't know how I survived them with any amount of sanity! LOL!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010