How young is too young for someone to go trick or treating?

I see parents who take their infants out trick or treating. I mean, it is fun to dress them up for Halloween, I did it, but I only took them to family so that family could see them. I have seen some parents taking their infants or babies trick or treating who cannot say trick or treat yet, let alone eat the candy. This one just stumped me every time one knocked on my door.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Holidays

• Since my DH worked overnight I took the kids trick or treating.......My oldest was 13 months the first time he went (except to see family the year before) so my 2 week old had to go along......Did I take him up to the door? Yes.....Did I have a bag for him? No. My youngest also went when she was a month old because of her 2 older brothers......she also wore a costume but she didn't have a bag! Although some people would give "extra" to my boys and tell them it was for their little sister.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• As far as actual trick or treating, I'd say under a year is too young. If you're just taking thew baby around to see a few people, then I see no issue with taking even a newborn out, within reason, of course.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think if your child can't walk around yet, can't say "Trick or Treat" and can't eat the candy, then they are too young.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If they can't walk and can't eat the candy and can't say trick or treat (or attempt it) they shouldn't be trick or treating.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• For other parents, I don't really care. I just give out the candy and gush about the costumes when I'm home. For my own kid, it wasn't until she could walk and say "trick or treat". Both. Her first Halloween, she was 8 months and could say it fine, but couldn't walk. By her second, she was 20 months and could do both so we took her. I wanted her to be able to walk herself and be able to say it herself.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• under 1
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We go as a family, so my husband & I take both of our children out, last year my son was 4, and my daughter was about 5 months, they were both in costumes, but only my son had an actual basket and would go door to door. It was fun just being together as a family and dressing both kids up!
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I don't think they should go trick-or-treating until they can walk and have candy. Still, the very young shouldn't go very far, just take them to houses of people you know.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• ds did it when he was about 1, we only went around the block though. actually, dh took him, he was about to deploy so he wanted to take him to his first trick or treat. i stayed home with dd, who at the time was about 3 months old. we chilled on the porch passing out candy. the next year dh was deployed, so i went with some friends around their neighborhood, ds was 2, and went door to door, we didn't stay out late. i had both kids dressed up as raggedy ann, but dd stayed in her stroller, since she wasn't walking yet. on the houses that didn't have steps i'd walk her up to the door, she got a couple peices of candy, but in that neighborhood it was only like 2 houses lol. i don't think we're doing it anymore, now that we're in church, they have a "hallalujah party" they have every year. we'll be taking them there :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• oops, raggedy ann and andy lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010