If someone asks, should I work, or should I go on welfare?

How would you respond? Is this even a serious question for an adult, who has made their own choices in this world, to ask? As a former single mother with two children, this is not a question I would have ever thought about asking. I worked two jobs, went to school full time and took care of my children. Isn't it time that we make wise choices, such as the amount of children we are having vs. the amount of children we can afford to logically take care of? This makes no sense to me. How is this even fair??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• when i was a single mom i worked my ass off and went to school, however i still got food stamps.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Honestly......I think that if someone is trying to better themself (by going to nursing school.....for example) then I have no problem with them going on welfare.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If someone seriously asked me that, I would let them they should get a job. If getting a job is an option, I don't think there should be a question. I would not be rude, but if they asked!
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i dont know her situation..... maybe she has a good reason to ask it. she may hate her job yet cant afford to go to school work and raise a small family and just need advice... i mean this is what this site is for right?
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 11:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• oh just be quiet be nice and mind your own business if you dont like it go to another question duuuhhhhh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I just ignore the question because I wont be saying anything nice to them o I take the high road and keep my mouth shut. Something maybe you should learn to do.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We can only imagine what that person's situation is, and what brought them to the point they are at now. Perhaps when they were with the father, they could afford it? IDK, but its not right to judge when someone is reaching out for help. Seriously, isn't that what this site is about?
    lilymoon00

Answer by lilymoon00 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Why would you even think that saying something like that is ok? Maybe she would like to actually spend time with her children. She is not just sitting around on her ass doing nothing she is trying to get somewhere. You think that you are better to be anonymous and talk crap? I mean if you did such a great thing then why hide who you are? seems to me like you are somewhat ashamed and know what you are saying is wrong.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• you know there ppl out here that are trying to find jobs or try to get into school and they are doing the bast they can to get somewhere in life. i know there are ppl out there that live on welfare and work and take care of their kids and they stil struggle. there is 3 typs of things you can be on welfare for 1 the cash, 2 for the food help, and 3 medical. and i dont see a problem with getting help with medical from welfare cuz these dr are really costly. i can say that from experience. i will say i dont get any cash help but i do get medical and food help cuz my hubby works and what he makes goes to bills.
    mjsmom09

Answer by mjsmom09 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Single-ness, married, mom or not, working or not, never worked , looking for work, or in between jobs, their is many gray areas, and it isn't the first time people are on welfare, it's used every single day. people are either using it, don't know how to work, can't get to work, have an abusive relationship, are pregnant, out of work, or overqualified, and confused to how to deal with a low paying job to make ends meet. The world isn't what it seems. Everything is not always what it seems. cars are expensive, and housing is in a pinch to get into, houses are high priced, but as even gov't housing is in huge shortage, and high demand.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010