Do you think Joana was suicidal ?

My pastor preached on Joana today and my mind wandered of on to this this question. I wonder if Joana was suicidal- like maybe he knew that he could not run from God but just did care because he didn't care to live. Just a thought what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I assume you're talking about Jonah (the guy with the big fish problem). No, I never thought he was suicidal, just didn't want to do what God told him to do. I've been in that place a few times myself!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Do you mean Jonah?
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If you mean Jonah, no I wouldn't say he was suicidal. I see no indication of that. He owned up to the fact that he didn't want to carry out his commission, and he put the whole ship in jeopardy because of it. However, he took drastic steps to safguard those innocent ones. That took a measure of courage on his part.

69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes I meant Jonah. I am not sure how courageous some one is when they are running for the job of saving an entire city then pouting and wishing to be dead once that city is saved. He knew about God's judgment. It was him who God was sending to teach others about it. He had to have known God would judge him for running. I think he willing put the innocent in jeopardy
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No, when people are Suicidal they kill themselves... They don't commander a boat and try to run from God... IF anything I think it was the opposite!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Do you really think he was running from God?
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Joanah 1:3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

so SabrinaMBowen you are right he was fleeing form God but maybe he would have rather died then to get swallowed by a fish and get sent on his way
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• What I enjoy about the book of Jonah is how candid he is in telling his story. He certainly made his mistakes. Running away from a God-given responsibility was one of them. I mention courage because IMO, that's what it took for him to admit to a boatload of desperate men that he was the one responsible for their troubles, and then to advise them to toss him overboard. People tend to focus on this part of the account. But Jonah humbled himself and supplicated to God for forgiveness while in the belly of that whale. When he was freed, he preached very zealously to Nineveh. They repented and he got mad. But the reader of hearts taught him a powerful object lesson using the bottle-gourd plant. Apparently Jonah got the point, as his final words would indicate. I appreciate seeing how God worked with his human shortcomings and didn't give up on Jonah.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 9:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• What 69humblepie said....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I'm guessing you are referring to Jonah. No, I don't believe Jonah was suicidal. He was just a disobedient Christian that didn't want to do what God had told him to do. He hated the people of Ninevah and did not want to go there to share God's message with them, so he ran the other way. After asking for God's forgiveness, he was given another chance to do what God had told him to do and he did it.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 12:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010