Does anyone have a small toddler due to genetics?

My husband is 5"1 and I am 4'10..our 2 daughters are 3 years, 7months old and 16 months old.....Our 3 year old fits into 18month shorts and 2T and some 3t shirts...the last time she was at the dr was for her 3 year old check up and she was 24.5lbs and 34 inches! Our 16 month old fits into 6-9 month shorts and 12 month shirts. She is 16lbs and 30 inches tall! I just get sooo sick of people commenting on how TINY they are!!!!

mommaofemma

Asked by mommaofemma at 11:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• my 4 year old is tiny. her father is tiny, she is only in 3t but my 15 month old has thicker legs than my 4 year old and she is also small for her age.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I sometimes feel soo alone thinking my kids are unusual I see all these huge kids :( I have a friend. her dd just turned 3 in august and she wears 4t!!!!!
    mommaofemma

Comment by mommaofemma (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My oldest has Down Syndrome and he is the same size as his little brother who is a year younger, they're 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. Every kid is different don't fret over your children being small, as long as they're healthy all is well =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have the opposite problem. My daughter is three but she wears a size six because she is so dang tall. She was 23 1/2" the day she was born. But people are always commenting on how she tall she is and how she really looks like she is older than three. Plus people expect her to act older than she is because she looks older.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son is on the smaller side 19 months and just over 22 lbs. I didn't think he was all that small until his Dr. referred him to a growth specialist and she looked at him and then looked a me (i'm 5' 2" and 98 lbs) and said he was fine..
    desisue0131

Answer by desisue0131 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My husband and I are very tall, and our children are tall for their ages ... people often think that they are older than they are.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had the opposite issue but I have a friend whose daughter is the same... actually at this age I think its better b/c when they do stuff people who don't know them think they are cute, when my ds would have a 2 yr. old tantrum people would look at him and me like we were awful b/c he looked like he was 4 or more...
    my mom had the same exp. b/c I was also big and her bf kid was small... people would make a big deal about how well he could talk etc. and she says she remember looking at him and thinking but he's 6 months older than T. ... LOL
    Anything gets annoying after a while though so I feel ya.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son is 45 inches tall and only weighs 38 lbs. He wears a 5 slim in jeans b/c of height. We have the hardest time finding shirts, coats, and jeans fitting b/c he is so tall.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son is 9 and is 46 inches and 45 lbs. My 4 yr old is about 25lbs, not sure of his exact height but he can wear 18m-24m shorts. 2-3t shirts. I'm 5ft and my dh is 5'10. But my side of the family is tiny with the men toping out around 5'5 lol.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:50 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• My daughter is really small, too. She's 18 months and weighs 19lbs, length is 30 in. She wears 9-12 months shorts (usually 9though). With pants, she needs 12-18 months in length but her waist is 9-12. Shirts range from 12-18 months only because she's tall. Her size is a combination of genetics and feeding issues she used to have. People always comment on how tiny she is and it makes me feel guilty. =(
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010