how much breast milk should I be getting when I pump?

I have been breastfeeding since my daughter was born last December and now I have noticed that when I pump I get less and less out, when I used to be able to get at least 4 ounces from each breast, now I am lucky if I get 2 ounces? PLEASE HELP

savannahmom1207

Asked by savannahmom1207 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• drink more water!!!
    Anonymous

• dehydrated? changes in eating habits?
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• did this change occur over a period of time? say you were getting 4 oz and then 3 and now 2 or was it more of a sudden change? it could just be that your baby has regulated your supply. also if you were pumping less often that could also be the culprit.
    if you have to pump(like for work, etc) then i might try fenugreek to help boost your supply.

also know that pumping is not a great indication of how much milk you are making. even if there is a change in the amount that you can pump it does not mean you are making less milk. baby is much more effective at draining the breast then the pump.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• this is very normal. look up pumping on kellymom.com
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 3:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• 1/2 oz to 2 oz a session total is normal, any more than that and you are lucky. The amount you can pump usually goes down as your supply settles, also pumping doesn't show supply, it just shows what you can pump. The amount a babies needs doesn't go up in ounces (unlike formula) with age. A 3 month old needs 24 oz of BM as does a 9 month old. The BM changes with time and gets more nutritional and has higher or lower calories depending on whats needed for the age of the child!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• This is very normal. Your period maybe about to start, your baby maybe needing less now that she is eating solids (?)., Please remember thatwhat you pump is not all what the baby gets, you may pump 4 oz but her nursing she can get 6 oz for example. I had the same thing happen to me when my daughter was an older infant.
    Keep drinking lots of water and taking your vtamins as well :)
    MamaNikkiP

Answer by MamaNikkiP at 6:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2008