How do you stop a 9wk old Puppy from chewing shoes/toys/paper up??

My 9 wk old Lab Puppy is an active pup, but seems to chew on everything.. anything that is left on the floor he will grab it and chew on it.. So any ideas on how to get him to stop chewing everything in sight..

AirforceWife654

Asked by AirforceWife654 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Pets

• dont know. my pup is 9 months and is still destroying things. he has raw hides and rope toys, still thismoring he cgewed four different shoes. i was so furious! i guess it will stop when he stops teething?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• You keep him from chewing things the same way you keep your kids from chewing--pick up things you don't want chewed. Puppies need to chew but you need to give him something that is okay to chew.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:05 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• When he starts chewing on something that isn't a toy or something he is allowed to chew on, take it away and replace it with one of his toys. Try keeping his toys in a dedicated spot; he'll learn eventually what toys are his. Also keep him on a leash, tie it around your belt loop and keep him with you while you're around the house. Crate train him or get a baby gate (or four) and block off any areas where you don't want him to be in when you're not around. Give him lots of exercise; he's only 9 weeks old but he's still a dog and a tired dog is a good dog!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Bitter apple spray was the only way we got our lab to stop chewing. It's by the dog bath products and won't harm your things, they just don't like the way it tastes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Put away things they can't have and bitter apple for things you can't put up. Had to spray an entire rug once. Get your puppy a basket for the toys he is allowed to have and let him know those are his. Lots of hugs and praise when they take things out of the basket. My lab puppy had it figured out within a few months, they are pretty smart fur babies. Enjoy!
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 12:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• thanks ladies. Im gonna have to buy some of that bitter apple stuff.. he likes to chew our computer chair, and has actually chewed the carpet to.. My puppy LOVES ice so him chewing ice wont hurt him will it..
    AirforceWife654

Comment by AirforceWife654 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My dog did that a lot at that age. It was usually a way to relieve the pain of new teeth coming in. I would call her into the kitchen and give her ice cubes and the occasional ice pop to chew on to help ease the discomfort. I even put a small treat into the water before I froze it into cubes as a treat at the end. She LOVED this and the chewing stopped almost immediately for us.
    lilymoon00

Answer by lilymoon00 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Oh i LOVE that idea Im gonna have to buy some ice trays.. Im sure he'll love it..
    AirforceWife654

Comment by AirforceWife654 (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Puppies chew things. Lab puppies tend to chew everything. You need to buy your pup toys that are meant to be chewed, reward them when they chew those (consistently), and keep him busy. Labs are 'working' dogs and need more exercise than some other breeds.

I raised several lab mixes. They are true garbage guts and will chew/eat just about everything. Both DH and I were working full time when the last pair were pups. Between them they ate three sofas, a love seat, batteries, permanent markers, the new porch rails, quite a few books, etc. Somehow we avoided surgery lol.

Lots of walks/outside time, balls, frisbees, and chew toys everywhere may help ~ but that puppy is going to chew (moreso until his permanent teeth come in). The ice cubes are a good suggestion and so it the toy basket. Labs ARE smart, and they do want to please.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• They r teething!!!! They r not comfortable. I like the ice idea!!! I use it myself for my three beagles!!!! They love it!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2010