help litter box prob

i just recently got another cat he is a fixed male and the other ive had for few years. the problem is the litter box smell...we scoop everyday and change it every 3, tried diff type of litters and those add in litter bix powders. and as soon as the male does #2 in there the smell is just horrible im out of ideas and sick of the smell.

bonnie-jo

Asked by bonnie-jo at 3:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Pets

• It may have to do with food. My cats eat dry food from Costco. It's actully reallly good because the first ingredient is chicken, Not by-products. Anyway, we use the Crystals Tidy Cat and its really good. We used to have the Automatic Scoop Away which worked really good but then it bumped my female and she just tried to kick its butt after that and stopped using it so we got rid of it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Cats..We have a male also. I noticed that same thing. It smells bad right after he comes out. I just try to clean daily. I use arm and hammer litter. It helps some with the after smell. But then the smells kinda mix. ick..
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• The smell could also come from the food your cat eats. You should try Nutro Natural Choice. i wouldn't have my cats on anything else. You can find the food at Pet Smart. Plus their wet food pouches are awesome the food is so fresh.
    MamaMcGovern

Answer by MamaMcGovern at 6:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree with the other two answers...they also have deodorizer for the littler so when the cats scrape up the litter to cover up their poo, it shifts the good smell up from the rocks! luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• could it be possible that i need get a whole new litter box all together? we have one with the top cover whatever you wanna call it but it was the one my mom used with her cat... its about 5or so years old.
    lol im sorry calliesmommy cant stop laughing about your cat trying to kick the litter boxs butt, i seriously can picture both of my cats doing that if that happened to them esp boots (my male)
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 1:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Our male was the same way. It was this god-awful soul sickening stink! It eased a little when I switched him to only dry food. But we just kept incense close by!!! We would also scream "Fire in the hole!"  any time he went into his box.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 1:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2008