my son wont eat dinner but wakes up crying that he is hungry

for the past few weeks my son (he just turned 2 last month) refuses to eat diner. He will eat breakfast and lunch, but not dinner. It isn't that he doesn't like the food, he just doesn't want to eat and it is near impossible to even keep him up at the dinner table.
Later he will tell me he is hungry around 7pm, but he will still only eat a little bit.
Then between 11pm and 3am he will wake up screaming at the top of his lungs that he is hungry. I have tried give him something to eat and I have tried making him wait til morning. If I make him wait until morning then cries for a long time and once I do get him back to sleep he wakes up every few hours crying because he is hungry.
I have tried no snacks between lunch and diner and that didn't work either.

How do I get him to eat so that he doesn't wake up in the middle of the night?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 12:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd won't eat much at dinner unless it's something she really, really likes. so after her bath, she gets a snack before bed. otherwise I'm sure she'd be waking up too. I think dinner is more distracting, cause everyone's at the table and she knows after dinner she gets to play outside, so she tries to hurry it up.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• maybe you should have dinner later, like around 7(?) i find even my picky eater will eat a lot more, and a lot more types of things, if i feed him later.
    katebordom

Answer by katebordom at 12:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son does the same thing I give him some fruit flavored oatmeal or the dinosaur egg oatmeal. its healthy and filling.
    quila_sunrise

Answer by quila_sunrise at 12:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I do try to feed him again around 7, but he still wont eat - even if he has told me he was hungry he still wont eat very much. Maybe half a sandwich or half a yogurt cup (his favorite foods)
    Amelora

Comment by Amelora (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2010