we have ants....

For months now....sprays traps nothing worked now they crawl all over the kitchen counters its gross but they are clean no food juice crumb idk why they are walking around are they stupid lol they should be working they just won't die when do they leave for the season and or how do I kill ththem

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My mother has the same problem. Her counters are spotless and yet they still come in. The only thing that has helped is the bait traps. They are on little squares of metal and the ants take the poison back to the queen. Ant's don't eat what they forage right then, they take it back to their nest and then eat it later. So if you feed them poison it will kill the queen and then the workers. That will be the only way to kill them. You may also want to spray the outside of your house and maybe in you kitchen too. Also Old houses have cracks in the foundation and walls so it's easy for them to get in.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 12:32 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• add borax to sugar syrup, place a few drops on a piece of paper or cardboard, and leave it where the ants can reach, but you dont step on...like under the fridge. Ants gobble it up and take it to the queen ant...they dont digest it, and die.

Walmart sells "20 mule team borax", and its a huge box, but you can use it for most things...including:

on your carpet for a few hours, vacuum it to remove odors...
    with baking soda in your washing along with detergent...you use lesser detergent that way...

and endless other uses.... just google for "borax and baking soda".

Just dont use it in your dishwasher...I tried it, and i think we got loose stools from using it...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:32 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• There is an spray from raid that works well. so can cleaning your counters with a 1/3 solution of vinegar/water.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• When we first moved in, there was a HUGE ant & spider problem! I couldn't believe how anyone could let things get so out of control!
    We first used hot water & bleach & went around all the windows & baseboards, & doors. Then hired our lawn care guys to spray all around the perimeter of our property, fences, trees, along the outside of our house. Then we sprayed for them inside.
    I'm not sure when or if ants & spiders ever leave or hibernate lol! ... :p Good Luck!!!
    Ellie19

Answer by Ellie19 at 1:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I had ants in one house I lived in and I went through the process of finding out what kind of ant it was on the net and what killed it, bought the poison recommended and I still had ants till the day I moved out. I think the house was built on a giant ant hill, lol!
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 2:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think it depends on what type of ants. If they are carpenter ants then they are looking to eat wood. I would highly recommend calling an exterminator to get rid of those.

If they are plain sugar ants (small black) you can use a trap or poisons. We have the bug guy come out and put down some poison (sort of looks like peanut butter in a syringe), and that works well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• use baby powder for the ants
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i use an ant spray made by ecosmart. it is cinnamon and clove oil. it works great.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 8, 2010