Why the strange names?

I don't understand why people feel the need to make up strange or unusual baby names. or even just spell common names in a strange way. Don't they think about the fact that their child is going to go to school or at least out in society one day and they certainly won't thank their parents for being named Plum or Cadyen or Fable? What's so wrong with Christine or Christopher or Michael or Sara or Alyssa or Andrew, etc., etc.?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 12:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Baby Names

• Because they want to be unique ... but really? Everyone is unique, the name is not what makes a child unique.

And no, it should never be all about the parents ... it should be about the child. The child has to be the one to live with it.

And yes, society can, does, and will judge ... so again, it's not all about the parents ... it's about he children and their future.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't see what's so wrong with naming your child something different or unique. Aren't there enough Christopher's, Michael's, Sarah's, Brittany's, etc, in this world?
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't care for unusual spellings of common names, I think that is just silly and some names that are unusual are a bit much, but some names you think are unusual may not be to others...like Cillian, it may not be John or Christopher to you, but it is an Irish name and may be very common in Ireland and for Irish people. Same with Indian, Arabic or other European names, they may sound super weird to you, but are common and normal to the parents who chose those names for their kids, even if they live here in America, they may have a strong connection to their ethnic roots. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I think parents need to teach their kids to not make fun of other kids for any reason, especially their names.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 7:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Because they THINK it's unique ...
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 9:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• when i think back on the kids i went to school that had "strange" names and the kids in my kids' classes, most of these children are unique themselves...leaders, artsy....so i say go for it ! chances are the name isn't making their personality, but the parents who named them are leaders and artsy themselves....it's a personality expression sometimes for the way the parents will be raising them....quite frankly i don't ever remember them being upset with their names...and passed grade 3, i never heard any of them having their name be ridiculed....and the ones who did ridicule were the ones with opinionated parents at home who made it okay for them to judge others and tease others by their names..... it's everyone's preference and nobody else's business in my opinion..... it's all good !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Because it's unique. Why should we stick to simple names just because it's harder for others to read or pronounce or even if they are judgmental on name. It's not about what society thinks it's about what the parents think at the time of naming a child.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I find it very annoying with all the weird names ..Espec ones they all think are diffrent like Lakeyn, Bentley, Addison, Chloe, Jet, ....Umm every 1 is using those names now but yet they think they are unique. People just trying to be diffrent but yet they are not. I have even heard he name Lucky???
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 2:02 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I think they pick a name that is "different" because 1) they don't want their child to be the 10th one named Michael in school; 2) they like the sound of it and it has some kind of meaning or connection to something for them; 3) It sounds nice with the surname. The funny thing is that a lot of times, those different names turn out not to be so different a few years down the road,
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:10 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i think its because people like to be unusual and dont like people havein the same names as there kids but other than that i have no clue
    Runt420

Answer by Runt420 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• IDK.. I like names that aren't on the top 50 for my kids.. but not too strange either. Having a name like Elizabeth called in the waiting room and having me and 3 other women stand up gets old.
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 11:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2010