what is the most outrageous school supply you have been asked to send?

I realize teachers have to buy many(not all) supplies and restock from their own pay, and that they are underpaid and under loved in general...but sometimes? I see these lists of what a child "needs" to bring and i wonder wth they can possibly need so much of it for?
example:36 kids in class and EACH child is asked to bring, gallon ziplocs, sandwich ziplocs, and snack ziplocs...and yet nother ever comes home in said ziplocs?
thats mine...whats your wackiest request?

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 12:45 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Shopping

• Just as an FYI... when I taught, our school / district came up with the supply lists -- not the individual teachers. When I arrived on the 1st day, I said, "What am I supposed to do with all of these Ziplock bags?!" They do come in handy for all kinds of things, though... I taught 1st grade and I was surprised at how many of them I ended up using.

Also, keep in mind that often there are several students who don't bring in anything at all from the supply list.

Of course, like all teachers, I ended up buying all kinds of supplies out-of-pocket.

MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 4:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• This year was nothing like last year. But last year they wanted three reams of paper for 3rd graders.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• we had to buy 50 pencils along w all the baggies, baby wipes, wet ones hand wipes, sharpie markers, dry erase markers, pens, and post it notes.... dd is in 3rd grade
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Last year one of my daughter's high school teachers requested each parent to send in reams of paper for the classroom printer, thumb drives (2mb), and gift cards to our local Staple's so she could buy further classroom supplies. I said, "hell no!"

The school's budget has been slashed, but I think the teachers can find other ways of cutting costs instead of expecting to use high-cost items.

With the cut-backs in the budget, the nurse's office was also affected, so I always bring in packs of tissues, boxes of bandaids, alcohol wipes, sanitizer, and ice packs. I always ask my various doctor's office to help me with some of the supplies and they willingly help a bit.
    I also like to send tissues and sanitizer in for each classroom.

I remember back in elementary school days when we were required to send in Ziplock bags of various sizes and particular markers for the whole class to share.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• many supplies i understand, but the example i gave would mean that one grade school class would have need for 2160 ziploc bags? I forgot to mention it was for 5th graders so they weren't for little snacks or projects brought home.And this same school had a suppl\y room with the basics like dry erase markers, erasers, sharpies,etc...so again I just got curious as to why so many bags and their usage.
    Bearsjen

Comment by Bearsjen (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My DS has to bring dry erase markers for the board. I dont recall my mom having to supply the chalk for the teachers so why am I buying the markers?
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 1:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• papertowels and lysol wipes. Along with the other "basic" stuff. Cost me an arm and a leg!!!
    hope4emma

Answer by hope4emma at 4:27 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• marigoldsmama I completely appreciate all you mentioned. I am a firm advocate for teachers and I know that the school or even the district sends the list. Ya see, I worked at the school lol, so was privy to it all, including the kids who had nothing to give...
    Just was curious :)
    Bearsjen

Comment by Bearsjen (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2011