why is it so hard to make friends?

I just moved to the USA my kids have made Dozens of friends in our apt complex and at school, I'm trying to network with other moms but most already have a 'comfort zone' of friends I love my husband to bits but SO wish I had a girl buddy to chat or jog or gym with. I've been to a few local playdates and volunteer at a Kindergarten. I guess I'm just missing my sister back home were close!sigh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• i wish i knew. i dont have any friends here we move a lot being army but my only friends are online
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I know what you mean we have moved 4 times in our 6 year marriage and its tough. Hang in there!

JenNAY3

Answer by JenNAY3 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I think it's because it's so hard to open up to people, and as women we are so judgmental and cruel to one another that it is very hard to connect with each other. I feel as if we all walk around with this veneer of protection on and only allow most people to see the surface when really they are longing just as much as you to just be themselves. I have found over the years that I am simply open and frank with people, some like me right away, some take time to warm up to me, and some never do care for me, but either way, I have heard countless times "it's so nice to just talk to someone REAL" lol...I don't make presumptions about other women, and I'm am open enough to them that they don't have to wonder much about me.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• con't.
    It can be so hard in a new place, but I say take the initiative, invite the women you meet and like to coffee or the gym, it's sort of like dating...you may get shot down or stood up, but eventually you'll find those few that mesh with you the best. Best of luck, go get some girlfriends.
    athenax3

• I know exactly what you mean. I've been in Louisiana for 4 months now and I've met one person that barely talks to me. I work in the office of a shipyard full of men so I haven't had any luck meeting female friends there. It seems like women are in packs and if you didn't hunt easter eggs with them when you were small then you can't get in.......lol
    Hang in there sweetie, I'm with you all the way.
    Shulizboo

Answer by Shulizboo at 3:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Thank you ladies! You've all given me new perpective and good ideas! Thx!
    Anonymous