Should physical custody be give to Linda or Rudy?

Rudy and Linda were married with two kids. They decided to become Jehovah's Witnesses, but Rudy got excommunicated for smoking cigarettes. Linda stayed with the religion.
Rudy filed for divorce and asked for custody of the kids.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that an excommunicated person is under Satan's control and members of the church will not associate with them.
Rudy argued that this meant he would never see his kids if they stayed with Linda.
Rudy argued that the children's best interests would be served by not having them grow up indoctrinated in Linda's strict religion.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Custody should be given to the parent who is more fit. It shouldnt be determined on religion.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• In JW religion when divorce takes place do they go before the public judge or is their someone within their religion that would make the decision?

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• legal to Linda and joint physical to them both. Your bringing church into state and the judge isnt going to give a hoot about this,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

Answer by virginiamama71

I was hoping that JW would answer this question
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I was hoping that JW would answer this question

Then you should have stated that
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I believe in the United States of Americia, if you get a divorce you are governed under the laws of that state, regardless of religion. I dont know who JW is, or what this is about. But thats my view. I am divorced, I am a single mom,,,I went thru the whole court circus. Church and state are seperate,,always
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• was hoping that JW would answer this question

Then you should have stated that

Answer by mommy_of_two388

JW = Jehovah Witness Mommy of two... I was just stating that I was hoping that we could get some inside information from a JW but until that time everyone else could answer..
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I know what JW stand for
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• can the heading be changed so any JW mom's can know to reply
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• From a legal standpoint, Rudy has a much stronger case to win custody as many judges still see JW's views of a person being "under satan's control" as unhealthy for an environment in which to raise children. Mind you, not in an environment where both parents agree on the religion and are raising the kids in the same manner, but the one in which one parent is alienating the other parent by stating that "Daddy belongs with Satan now."

Rudy can claim parental alientation, claim that JW is cult, that Linda will not raise the children to encourage a healthy relationship with their father considering "Daddy will be destroyed at Armageddon."
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 1:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2010