my son turned two in aug. n still wont talk much just lil words like mama or dada should i take him to a doc, or give him a lil more time

sandi_361

Asked by sandi_361 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's more than my granddaughter said at two. We asked her pediatrician and she said that she wouldn't really be concerned until she turned three. Well she turned two in January and has since started to talk, but it's not comprehensible. We had her evaluated the other day and they weren't concerned either. They said we would still wait until she turned three. They also said as long as they are able to express themselves, it's not a concern.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• my daughter came to a standstill with her speach at about 2. and her vocab ws very small. i talked to her pediatrician and she refered her to an early childhood intervention and they found that she had serious speach delays and cognitive development delays. she has been in a specialized preschool with speach therapy services for 2 years now and now talks like most 2 year olds. she is 4. this is her last year and they expect that she will need to continue speach therapy into kindergarten so seh can catch up completly so definatly talk to the pediatrician,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:56 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If you are asking this question you should talk to your pediatrician. They will be able to work with you to determine what is going on. Its perfectly reasonable that your child just doesn't feel like talking yet but it could be something worth looking furter into.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:13 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• thanks for all the asnwers i will on his next appt wich happens to b on weds
    sandi_361

Comment by sandi_361 (original poster) at 3:21 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Pediatricians are notorious for putting off parents concerns. Please don't wait until your child is 3! You can google early intervention for your area and get a free developmental evaluation - if they find any delays, they will provide you with free or very low cost therapy. If they don't find any delays, then at least you have peace of mind. Catching delays early is key!!

Answer by missanc at 8:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• yeah i would deffinetly give your child more time, but maybe start to read with her more, and start teaching her letters and sounds
    kate78966

Answer by kate78966 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I would talk to his pediatrician and get him in some therapy. He should be saying a lot more by now. My son turned 2 in July and is talking in sentences and he seems right on for the other kids his age... so I think he should be saying a lot more.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son didn't talk a whole lot when he turned two, when the Dr asked I could barely come up with 20 words he said (which is what she said the minimum at that age) so I was a little concerned, but we didn't do anything. Shortly after that he just started picking up words like crazy and now he's 2 yrs and 9 months and talks a lot, and very clearly. Some kids just do things in their own time: in my son's case he was just more interested in learning to run and jump and climb than talking earlier on, and once he mastered a lot of those physical skills then he became interested in talking. Every kid is different, just because he isn't talking a lot now doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with him.
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Its fine! Start reading to them more and they will pick it up in there own time. dont worry until 3ish if they still arent exspressing themself then you might need to talk to someone.
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son has been going though early childhood intervention for his speech since Feb and in Dec he will be going to special ed preschool. It's better to have your child check out now before your child turns 3.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010