Do you always refer to people's race in your description of them or do you deliberately leave out the obvious so as not to offend??

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:02 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would only refer to it if it was pertinent to waht I was talking about.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yeah, that. What does their race have to do with something they're doing?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We went to a BBQ today and there were 3 Jen's there. Later I told my husband I was talking to Jen ... and he laughed cause he obviously didn't know who I was talking about, so I said, "the Jen that's Asian." If I mention someone and the other person doesn't know who I'm talking about and I have to describe them I would use race.. just like height. If anything I avoid using weight in description more than race. I can imagine people being uncomfortable or sensitive about weight much more than race. IMO whatever race you are you should be proud of who you are, so I don't see why anyone would mind if you were just trying to clarify who you were talking about. I wouldn't say I ALWAYS do.. only when it's necessary for the other person to understand who I'm referencing or trying to get a hold of. I have friends of all races and I'm comfortable with mentioning race if it's relevant.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 1:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• race has nothing to do with what a person does.

i don't do either.

i don't refer to people by their race because it's stupid and irrevelant.
    happymommy1105

Answer by happymommy1105 at 1:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• neither. I don't refer to peoples race when discussing them because I don't think about that. Just like I don't refer to someones religion, or sexual orientation, etc. It has nothing to do with fearing offense.. it's just not something I personally think about in normal conversation.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No. People don't do that to me. I won't do that to them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Only when I talk about NASCAR or the Indianapolis 500. I have to let them know what race the driver is in, and car number..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:13 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I don't even NOTICE people's race most of the time .... it was April or May before I realized that the new Atty General was what you might call black ... with Colin Powell, too, I was not aware that he was "African American" until the media started reporting on how he was being accused of not being black enough.

There is so much more to be noticing about people that their "race" is only minimal. My profession trained me to be noticing things like a person's health, mental balance, emotional state ... there are qualities revealed in a person's forehead, different parts of their ears, how they hold their head, the way they use their hands and arms, the way they touch things with their hands .... oh, and there is a WORLD revealed by the way a person walks.

It's kinda like body language, only WAY beyond gesture. So I'm too busy watching all these qualities to pay much attention to a person's race, unless it is very marked.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No I don't. If applicable I refer to their Nationality. That's it and there is no crime in that.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 4:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

***

I'm kind of curious as to WHY a person's nationality is important in conversation....

Oh, wait....never mind.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010