I have a 16 pnd 5 oz 9 month old!

My 2nd baby is a HEALTHY 9 month old little girl! She seems healthy and happy, but she's 9 months and only 16 pnds 5oz and 26 and 3/4 in long! She's crawling and saying "mama" "dada" "gaga" etc and is trying to walk too! She's breastfed and eats whatever we eat, and seems to be satisfied. Her pediatrician seems fine with her weight, but I of course feel uncomfortable with how little she is! My son was about 21 pnds at her age.....and is in the 90th percentile now at 3 1/2yrs! I am petite and her father and his family is on the larger size for height and a little for weight! Should I worry about this, and maybe supplement a breastfed baby, or wait until her 12 month weigh in??? She would only be about 18 pnds by then! THANKS!

sonnysmom

Asked by sonnysmom at 1:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• all babies are different...My first two kids were huge and my 2 yr old was tiny. She was eating, growing and developing fine just tiny! AT 12mos she was like 17pounds! Her older two siblings were 24pounds! I think your stressing over nothing. Feed her thiongs like baby yogurt with whole milk...healthy fats really. Add a little butter to stuff if you can. I know I was always a little concerned because compared to my other two she is so so skinny but eats more than they did! Its just how she is though. AT 2 1/2 she is almost 26pounds! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I agree, all babies are different. when dd was that age, I was freaking out because her height kept dropping even though her weight was fine. (she was a bit of a chubbers) she's finally in the 25th percentile for height at 18 months, when at 12 she was in the 9th. as long as her doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't be either. you can always try feeding her more healthy fats, though. avacado, yogurt, that kind of thing.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My 8 month old girl is 13 lbs 12 ounces, every baby is different. As long as she is healthy then don't worry about it :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Thanks! I think I am stressing! She's just tiny I guess! Like WAY smaller than my almost 4 year old little boy who's about 30 pounds and really tall ,( was 21 pnds at her age!)! I'm thin about 113 and my husband tells me, it's ME who needs to gain weight, (I'm breastfeeding) to feed her! She seems smart and on track as far as milestones ( babbling, crawling, almost walking silly!!!) , just really tiny and shorter than I'd expected! She poops and pees normally it seems, so, why is she SO tiny at almost 10 months???? It drives me crazy daily!!!!!!!!
    sonnysmom

Comment by sonnysmom (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• She sounds totally fine. Not all babies are chubby. My son was only 15 lbs at 12 months. He is 3 now and weighs 30 lbs. DD is 6 months and just shy of 13 lbs. She'll likely not reach 20 lbs by 12 months either. I would not worry, and no need to give formula. Sounds like you are doing great with just BFing.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:17 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• As ong as she is growing and not suddenly dropping off the charts she is perfectly fine :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My older son was always (and still is) under the average weight. He is tall for his age so this makes buying clothes hard. He eats like you would NOT believe, but he is very active. If the doctor isn't worried and she is eating well, I wouldn't worry.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2010