What kind of chores do your 3-4 year old children have...

Presently my children put away their toys and keep their own clothes picked up. They also have to take care of their dishes after they eat - scrape them and put them in the sink... But I don't feel it's enough. We wish to start a chore list and reward system for them but I need some more ideas for chores... I have a 3yo and a 4yo.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Besides what you listed my 4yo has to make her bed (as best she can), sweep the floor and clean the counter if she makes a mess in the kitchen (she makes her own sandwiches). She also empties the dishwasher and puts away anything she can. She also knows how to fold her clothes (taught her when she was 3) but she's been giving me a real hard time about putting them away recently. My other kids were folding and putting away their clean clothes at 4, too. She also helps take out the recycling, helps carry in groceries and clean up the yard.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• my son who is also four takes out the bathroom trash n helps his dad with yard work. also picks up toys n he for some reason like to put clothes in the dryer lol ill wash it n put in a basket hell load the dryer n knows wich buttons to turn it on...but u gots to start them young if not there grow up used to us doing every ting for them..n for all he does he gets 5 dls to put in his piggy bank on fridays n he makes sure of gettn paid to lol good luck mama
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• my 4 yo likes to vacuum....she has one with an adjustable handle.....she can sweep the floor, she can dust....i will have her help with anything that requires no chemicals.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• DD helps make her bed, cleans her room, helps me dust, takes out the bathroom trash ( I so did not impose that one on her, she did it one day & now she refuses to let anyone else do. I'm glad for the help! LOL)sets the table, ok so she puts out the napkins & silverware =)
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 4:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My 3 /2 year old daughter will scrape her plate into the trash and put it in the sink, pick up her toys and put them in the toy box, and help do dishes (kind of). That's about it for now...we're working on making her bed but that's another fight o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• At 4 my son did all of the things you list as well and carrying his own clothes up to his room and putting them away. When he was about 5 I added helping to unload the dish washer and now that he is 6 he cleans the litter box and cleans his room with no help. Of course he is developmentally delayed...I may not be the best person to answer I guess! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My 3 year old just cleans her room but I have been looking for an idea of other things she can do. I want to make a chart and have her earn stickers or something. Thanks for the ideas!!!
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 7, 2010