Congestion

I'm babysitting a 6 week old little boy who is congested. I've got the cool air humidifier going, put some Vick's baby rub on him, and cleaned his nose with saline and an aspirator. It helped some but not too much. Anything else I can do for the little guy?

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 1:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like you're doing everything you can.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• only other think I know to do is run the shower really hot so the bathroom steams up and then take him in there for a few minutes. it helps dd when she's stuffy.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:17 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Put a pillow under his mattress so his head is elevated a little, and nothing is settling in his nasal cavity which can lead to an infection. Lots of fluids. Rest. That's about it :)
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• ugh, thing, not think. sorry.
    catharsis

• I'm keeping him elevated too. :)
    It's keeping him from sleeping. Last night he was up from 2AM to 530AM and his mom said he didn't sleep well all day either.
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My lil guy had the same problem coming home and still gets it often, 3 mons now. My doc said he may just have sinus issues. I let him sleep in his bouncy seat till 2 months and that helped keeping his head elevated, or put pillow or towels under the crib mattress. poor thing, I sucked out the boogies about every hour. If you can try to give him and ounce of water a day. that usually helps. Cant really do anything until about 4months. if the baby is breastfeed it will be easier on him but formula tends to keep it congested a while longer. My son is and has been formula fed.
    Jachaismommie

Answer by Jachaismommie at 1:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2010