How do you handle depression?

I am at a loss as to how to handle my ongoing depression. Nothing can lift my spirits very long anymore. Usually, whenever I awake in a good mood, something bad happens. It never fails. And I'm not being a pessimist, I'm being serious. It's like I'm being punished for having a good feeling. And I hate it. Any help?

ellalilyan

Asked by ellalilyan at 1:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Health

• I've been feeling that way lately, too, so I think I'm going to see a therapist.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:29 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have been wanting to see a therapist as well. The only problem is, I have no insurance and no job. So I have to deal with it on my own unfortunately.
    ellalilyan

Comment by ellalilyan (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I saw a therapist. it helped a lot. I was on meds for awhile, too, but stopped taking them before I saw improvement, so I can't speak from personal experience on that.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Stay busy. Find things that need to be done. Do them. Wake up early every morning... no matter what. Put make up on every day. Eat healthy. Drink water. Quit Smoking. Listen to music. Call a friend. Go to a family event. Arrange an event. Create projects. If broke, find things around the house to keep busy. Do something you never do. For example... go through the entire house and wash all of the walls with a washcloth from top to bottom while listening to music. Help someone in need. Listen to someone talk about their problems and help them deal with them (While blocking out any problems of your own.) Get a pet. Sing. Write. Play an instrument. Take a bubble bath and eat ice cream. Have a glass of wine. Get out a calendar and write one thing to do to help heal your depression every day.

Monday- Ice cream
    Tuesday- Read a book
    Wed- Go jogging
    Thursday- Call a friend
    Friday- Cook out

etc etc etc.
    Erielle

Answer by Erielle at 1:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Wow Erielle its so true, i go see a therapist n it does help but the things you just mentioned wow, Thanks!!
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I want to say I'm sorry you're struggling with depression. I currently am as well, so my plan of attack is therapy, medication, exercise and eat healthy. There's nothing better than listening to my music either while going for a walk or dancing around the house. There's some papers you can print out from webmd.com that have helped me. I've identified some things I need to work on and have seen improvement. It sounds like you may struggle with dealing with life. I don't have great coping skills, so that's part of what I'm working on. I wish you the absolute best and hope you begin to feel better soon. Take care.

Babycakes323

Answer by Babycakes323 at 6:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I have struggled with it for a long time. I finally went to see a therapist . Talking with her helped, but I also went to my dr. and he gave medication to take. It has worked wonders. I didn't realize how bad I was feeling until I started on the medication. I used to feel that way to, that anytime something good would happen something bad would happen to punish me. I had a lot of anxiety. I hope you can work something out, if you are feeling really depressed you really should see someone about it. Take care.
    amymtomasek

Answer by amymtomasek at 12:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2010

• I like Erielle's post because it brings up the important point of doing something that makes us feel good. Sometimes we get to a point where we forget what makes us feel good, what we like, what is important to us. I do, however, get a sense that there is some avoidance in the 'doing.' Quite often we stay busy, constantly doing something to distract us from our own thoughts, pushing away the problems for another day. When what really needs to happen is for us to find ways to really examine why we feel the way we do and how to get re-connected to ourselves. Maybe it's not 'depression.' Maybe it's just that you've lost a little of yourself somewhere along the way and you need to find the right space to ask the right questions in order to get back on track again. It sounds to me like you are afraid to be happy for some reason. What part of you is not allowing yourself to experience joy? What are you trying to protect?
    abuster

Answer by abuster at 4:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2010