What Do You Do To Help Others Outside Your Comfort Zone?

A woman was seeking advise on another question. She wanted to become self reliant. Improve her lifestyle, but was stuck due to her circumstance. One woman called her a moron. I felt sorry more for the woman who said that then the woman needing help. I guess because she was reaching out for help/ advice. While the other woman was walking through life in limited compassion for those around her. I thought maybe if there were ways to see that we have a society that isn't always able to care for themselves. We are sometimes thrown into circustances beyond our control. How do we help them without feeling we are enabling them?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 1:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• If they can't care for themselves how is helping them enabling them?? I don't get the question I guess...

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• People told her that others were enabling her to stay in her circumstance. For example: She didn't drive. They told her instead of looking for a ride go get a drivers licence. Instead of sitting at home, go to college and get a job. That is why I used the word enable. I don't think we are enabling them. The type of answer I was looking for is What do you do to help others out of your comfort zone? Like I took a woman shopping who lived 28 miles away from me. I had just met her the night before. I guess I shouldn't have talked about the other woman...made it too confusing. I tried to edit it, but it won't let me. Says its locked in?
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 4:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2010