How long di it take you to move in?

I already asked about flood insurance, but..

How long did it take you to move in to your new house from the time you bid on a house.
Just wondering how long it took from signing the contract until you moved in? I’m thinking like 60 days? This is our first time buying a house!!! Just wondering so I can start planning. Thanks!

colorsofgrey

Asked by colorsofgrey at 1:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Not trying to be negative ..But Im a real estate agent & it is TOUGH to get approved for a home loan. U can put a contract on house but does not mean u are gonna be approved for the loan. a normal closing takes only 30 days from the time u sign the contract to the end. Many of my clients have had pre approval letters & everything is a go all the way till the day of closing only to be denied. They pull ur credit 3 to 4 times during this time and one day before closing. Not trying to make u feel down about just dont move any thing or plan anything untill about 2 hours after closing lol. It is not for sure untill u actually close. Banks are very nervous about lending money right now . Good luck
    bubbaelea22

Answer by bubbaelea22 at 1:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I am with bubba- we moved across the country twice in this past year (job relos)- securing and finalizing a loan is horrific, even with good jobs, a spotless credit history and huge down payments. The process now borders on ridiculous. The final straw for me was when I had completed signing the loan docs, the agent asked to see a second form of picture ID- I just happened to be carrying my passport in my purse, as we were leaving on a trip out of the country. Yes, that was one surprised agent! I also had my work ID in my car if needed. I wonder if the loan would have been approved had I not produced those documents? Also, you have to be able to account for every penny of the down payment, in terms of origin.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We were approved for alot more than this house is selling for and we have a pre-approval letter. This also isn't a 250K house either. It's not sold as-is either and I know alot of banks are not leanding for those. I was just wondering like a general time-line. I have heard 30-60 days w/o repairs from the sellers. Just wondering. and thanks!
    colorsofgrey

Comment by colorsofgrey (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• We were approved for alot more than this house is selling for and we have a pre-approval letter-

This doesn't not seem to matter anymore. We had those in place as well. Ours were high end homes and not short sales. The tracing of the DP was really interesting. We were putting greater than 20% down, I guess having loads of cash is a "red flag" to some lenders. The housing debacle has reduced all parties to criminals-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• we moved in 4 weeks after the offer was accepted.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 8, 2010