Did your child go to pre-K? Is it better for them?

My son just started Pre- K. Tuesday will start his third week of school. He goes to Pre-K at a public school from 8-11 and then goes to a daycare (Where they have a pre-k classroom.)

Some parents wait until first grade to allow their children to go to school. What are the reasons for this? What are the pros and cons of Pre-k and kindergarten in your opinion?

Erielle

Asked by Erielle at 1:44 AM on Sep. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter went to one at her daycare... they had structured learning time in the a.m. for a couple hrs and then the rest of the day was just daycare... it was very good for her. within a couple months she could write her name (first and last) from memory as well as some of her friends names along with the days of the week and so on.... the amount of stuff that she learned in such a short amount of time amazed me... she was well prepared for K.... i think that really the only drawback was that K was kind of a repeat for her since she had already learned in pre K what they were teaching in K...
    springsmom0322

Answer by springsmom0322 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My 4 YO will start Pre School next week. I want her there for socialization and to get used to a classroom type setting. I honestly feel it will be fun for her. She's been home with me all summer. I want her to go have fun with kids her age, enjoy the art, music, reading, playtime, etc that she's going to get with the other children. It's all about HER having some good experiences and a good time.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• None of mine went to pre-k, all 6 were very well prepared for kindergarten and do very well in school.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• yes they did go to pre-k and I think it was wonderful...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son went to pre-K. He didn't really get anything out of it but it was a good social experience for him. It also where we figured out he was developmentally delayed in the social and motor skills departments. So it had its pluses.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My dd starts headstart tomorrow & I personally think it will be good for her just because the only socialization she gets is with her 2 yr old brother & 4 yr old nephew. I think it will be great for her to meet new friends.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• My son goes to private pre-k now. Before at the same preschool he was going to preschool. It has been wonderful for him! He has socialized, more confidence in social settings, made friends, learned, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2010