Breastfeeding relapse?

My eleven month old weaned to formula and cups three months ago. In the last two weeks or so, she's begun pulling on my shirt and mouthing my breasts all over again. She signs, so she could tell me if she was hungry or thirsty. She made an easy transition (or so I thought) and I'm a SAHM, so she isn't at a lack of my attentions. Also, all this whining and squeezing is making my body try to produce again and sweet damn it hurts.

What's going on, Mom?

randomsoliloquy

Asked by randomsoliloquy at 3:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe it was more of a nursing strike on her part and not weaning, my son backed off around 8-9 months and picked back up right around a year.....
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I agree with the above answer. Nursing strikes are very very common. She is trying to nurse again and the wonferful bodies we have can pick that up and provide for her requests :) Good Luck.
    MamaNikkiP

Answer by MamaNikkiP at 5:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Definitely was NOT weaning. Children do NOT self wean before at least a year but usually two. I am sure she was teething and it was difficult for both of you, leading to the formula. This is one of the many reasons that educating yourself on breastfeeding is a great idea.  I am sorry that things did not go as planned.

Anonymous

• Yes babies self wean I have seen it a number of times working in pediatrics, but I have never heard of one going back. It could very well have been a nursing strike. If you are going to start nursing again I wish you all the luck!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• coala-babies do NOT self wean before 12 months, they get too many solids, or bottles, or juice or are refused the breast too many time and wean themselves, but an EBF baby will not wean before 12 months. If a child under 12 months acts as though they are weaning, all measures need to be taken to prevent it such as cutting out solids and other liquids.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I don't think she weaned. Babies usually wean between 2 and 3 years old.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Yeah coala, what do you know??? You just work in pediatrics . . . didn't you know . . tabi cat knows all . . . gimme a break
    Anonymous

• Apparently, you guys know everything about this lady, her boobs, AND her baby. WOW.
    Anonymous